P-70 Picture Request

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smoke

Senior Airman
Nov 6, 2008
I'm looking for images of the Douglas P-70 night fighter. There don't appear to be very many online.

Also, did the P-70 have an official name? I've heard it called the Nighthawk, was this an official name?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I found several images through google, but I'm looking for more detailed ones. Especially of the cockpit area.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's one.

Attachments

• P-706thNFS1.jpg
    P-706thNFS1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 341
Thanks! Any chance of photos of the escape hatch of the P-70?

Interesting pic verner. No 20mm pac under the fuselage, were they easily removed or did not all of them have them? Also, noticed the shroud over the upper canopy parts, sunscreen? Did they operate during the day?

Last edited:
Yep, sunscreen on runners, a standard fit as it was originally a day bomber.
Which escape hatch do you need? There are some pics on the 'net of the pilot's entrance/escape hatch in the roof, and the rear gunner's hatch was 'over the side', after keeping the aircraft in control (second set of basic controls) until the pilot had jumped. I should have pics somewhere if you can let me know what it is you're looking for.

I would be interested in pics of the radar operator's station. I assume it would be a similar layout to the Beaufighter. A1 Mk IV set from what I've read. I can't find any pics of the rear interior on the web, even A-20 would help.

I've got a pic of the rear compartment, looking forward, but without the radar set. I'll dig it out and post it, and some others, here. You can also see some other internal details (model) in my Boston build in the Heavy Hitters GB. I've never been able to find any internal shots of the night fighter version, Havoc I, II or P70. I'm guessing pics were taboo due to the classified nature of the radar.

Oh, sorry.:oops:

I mean the pilots escape hatch, but any pictures of the P-70 would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I'll post something in the next day or so. It probably won't be a P70, more likely Boston and A20, but it was the same anyway.

Here you go. The first two are from the Boston manual, source as per header, the others from Squadron Signal 'A20 Havoc in Action'. The final pic is the rear compartment, looking forward and up, original source unknown, probably Douglas.

Attachments

• Boston Manual page canopy.pdf
    510.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Boston Manual rear canopy.pdf
    498.9 KB · Views: 156
  • P70 plan etc.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Action Boston canopy.pdf
    277.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Boston rear pit.bmp
    589.9 KB · Views: 422

Users who are viewing this thread