P38 Drop Tanks ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex Smart

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2018
Hello,
I have a question about the procedure of droppingthe fuel tanks from a P38.
When the pilot drops the tanks, what does he do to shut off the connecting fuel lines ?
Orwere they closed automatically ?
Thanks
Alex

The Pilot Training Manual for the P-38, AAF Manual 51-127-1 (1945) says, "You may have to drop the external tanks to lighten your load if an engine fails, or to give you greater maneuverability in combat. Before you drop them, turn the fuel selector valves to the wing tanks."

There's a valve for each engine. They are on the left side of the seat near the floor.

I can't remember where I got my copy of that manual. Probably here:
Army Air Forces collection

The Pilot Training Manual for the P-38, AAF Manual 51-127-1 (1945) says, "You may have to drop the external tanks to lighten your load if an engine fails, or to give you greater maneuverability in combat. Before you drop them, turn the fuel selector valves to the wing tanks."

There's a valve for each engine. They are on the left side of the seat near the floor.

I can't remember where I got my copy of that manual. Probably here:
Army Air Forces collection
Thanks Joe, your reply may have answered my question,

The P-38's originally came equipped with separate buttons on the control wheel for the cannon and the machine guns. a center "horn button" for transmitting on the radio, and a drop tank release that was in an out of the way place. In combat the pilots found that there were no circumstances where they wanted to fire either the machine guns or the cannon; they wanted to fire both. Having to take a hand off the wheel to use the radio was undesirable also. And when they needed to get rid of the drop tanks in a hurry, trying to find the right switch was a chore. So they ganged the machine guns and cannon to one firing button, used the other firing button to key the radio, and used the center "horn" button to drop the tanks.

Drop tanks had a poppet valve that would close by itself once the tank separated from the carrying rack when dropped. The pilot had to remember to switch to wing tanks from drop tanks so as not to starve the engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back