P47D Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
as a change i thought my next project would be Amercian.This was the 1st i ever built as a child,P47D by revell from the famous plane series dated from the 60,s,pics to follow soon,i have quite a few of this series,i remember saving my pocket money to buy it only to be told it was a waste of money but not to me

bob446.jpg

bob443.jpg

bob442.jpg

bob444.jpg

on the back of the paperwork is a nice old ad dating the kit from 1962-63

bob447.jpg

God!! That box art brings back memories :) Going out to KAFB with my father to Toyland and getting kits,airshows and picnics out at the base.By the way airshow this WE I hope to go Sunday planes are arriving as I type.Cool little kit and thanks for the memories :thumbleft: Cheers

Nice one. I remember building that kit in the early 1960s, as far as I recall, it was my first Revell kit after many Airfix and Frog kits.

i've spent an evening working on this latest project,pics to follow shortly,one thing i have noticed is that the cowling transfer was approx 1/2'' short,the interesting part about the kit i found was that the wheels can be made to turn and the canopy slides open or closed

a few pics to bring up to date progress so far,still loads to do,including some tidying to the nose cowling transfer,i've used transfers from old kits before and they tend to be badly cracked when removed from the backing paper,these so far have been perfect,old Novo's transfers used to break up when brand new,i understand that you can get film you use to print off usedable transfers with your home printer,where can i get this from please

Clear decal sheets are usually available in most of hobby shops. But printing is not always easy because most of printers can't print the white colour. The better solution for that is to use these that come with a kit. But before you can use them you should apply on decals a thin layer of clear dope. It will prevent against cracking up. When these are dry you can cut them out.

Last edited:
pics of the finished model,a really nice kit to make with working parts,the hardest part was the fitting of the transfer to the engine cowl,the transfers considering their age were in very good condition

Looking good, and brings back memories. For future reference, if you apply a clear gloss coat before applying the decals, and then a clear matt coat after the decals, the carrier film will not show up, causing what is known as 'silvering'.

Cool looks Good as an OOB deal;good tip Terry :thumbleft: Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back