Paddlewheel Aircraft Carriers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you look through the file, near the bottom is a link to a film clip of the USS Wolverine in operation. It is short but shows the Wolverine launching and recovering SNJ's. The low height above the water is very apparent when compared with full-size carriers.

Great find, I really hadnt thought about how you train carrier pilots when you actually need all your carriers half way around the world fighting.

I knew they painted a mock carrier deck on a runway and you did initial training on it, but didn't know about these great lakes carriers either. That's why I thought it might be interesting.

My bet is there could be a LOT we don't really know about or aren't entirely familiar with, and it may all remain rather obscure forever if we don't share it when we come across it.

Wonder what happened to them? Might make a good thing to look up ...

If you went off the bow and fell in after an arrester line failure, you better hope you clear the paddle wheels! I bet they'd even do a number on a Hellcat, wood and all.

Hi Milosh,

Appreciate that Milosh. To tell the truth, it never even occurred to me to look in Wiki. Many military items are listed as "disposed of" and went on to another life. I have a friend who has a "disposed of" WWII tank and you'd think it was scrapped, but it is still alive and running.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back