paint for navigation lights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beartown550

Airman
Jan 28, 2020
Looking for paint brands and color choices for wing navigation lights.

Usually the lights were/are blue, green, red or "white" ( clear). To be honest any kind of paints can be used but these gloss colours seem to be better than the matt ones The set of colours depends on the plane that is going to be replicated. The paint should be thinned in order to get the quite transparent tone. The thinned coat can be applied either on primed with a gloss grey paint, the light cover ( moulded at the wing tips ) or on the ones made with the clear polistyrene if the light cover was made of the colour glass. Of course you may use the glass of the correct colour too.
However if the lampshade was clear you have to drill a small hole in that to imitate the colour bulb inside of the clear part before attaching it to the wing tip. Also the hole has to be filled with the correct colour firstly.

Here a couple of examples found in the net...

Making colour and clear light cover
8.jpg

9.jpg

the clear cover without the colour bulbs..
2.jpg

the clear cover with the colour bulbs ...
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The pic source: the Internet.

What you say makes sense. I will just have to do some experimenting and see what I can come up with.

Also you may use a clear gloss varnish but tinged with small amount of the basic colour.

There are also 'clear' paints available, in both acrylic and enamel, in red, green, blue, yellow etc, with Tamiya and Humbrol being the ones I use.
These can be used where the clear lamp over is tinted, rather than the actual bulb.

There are also 'clear' paints available, in both acrylic and enamel, in red, green, blue, yellow etc, with Tamiya and Humbrol being the ones I use.
These can be used where the clear lamp over is tinted, rather than the actual bulb.
This sounds like a real good way to go. Thank you !!

Usually the lights were/are blue, green, red or "white" ( clear). To be honest any kind of paints can be used but these gloss colours seem to be better than the matt ones The set of colours depends on the plane that is going to be replicated. The paint should be thinned in order to get the quite transparent tone. The thinned coat can be applied either on primed with a gloss grey paint, the light cover ( moulded at the wing tips ) or on the ones made with the clear polistyrene if the light cover was made of the colour glass. Of course you may use the glass of the correct colour too.
However if the lampshade was clear you have to drill a small hole in that to imitate the colour bulb inside of the clear part before attaching it to the wing tip. Also the hole has to be filled with the correct colour firstly.

Here a couple of examples found in the net...

Making colour and clear light cover
View attachment 572742

View attachment 572743

the clear cover without the colour bulbs..
View attachment 572741

the clear cover with the colour bulbs ...
View attachment 572736

View attachment 572737

View attachment 572738

View attachment 572739
The pic source: the Internet.
I know that red is port side,and green is starboard, where were the blue and yellow lights used?

The most of planes here in the Europe had the Red/Green/White ( or Blue ) lights used while the USA made planes had the Blue ( instead of the Green) /Red/White set mounted often. The yellow or the amber rather could be used at the bottom of fuselage or for the ID lights. So all depends on the particular type of aircraft.

Actually, most often, the "blue" lights were simply blue-tinted clear lenses, used in conjunction with yellow bulbs, with yellow and blue combining to give a green light. Reason? Probably cost. You can buy yellow bulbs all over the place, but other than at Christmas, green bulbs are hard to come by...

Ed

Red-port (left) and green-starboard (right) has always been a standard aviation convention (based on established maritime rules) but during wartime, alternate lights (and combinations) were used for "friend or foe" recognition as well as distinction between air groups (flights), flight leader and so on.

Here's something I do when the nav light is molded as part of the wing, and it is impractical to replace with clear or colored plastic. I start by painting the entire light Tamiya Nato black, then dry brush a small (fuzzy) area of silver in the upper center. Finally I paint the entire light with either Tamiya clear red or clear green (or green/blue mix). It actually looks surprisingly realistic.

light.jpg
Image5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back