Painting advice: Ki-21 Sally. Vac-form (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

patsiavos

Recruit
Nov 7, 2014
Good morning and Happy New Year everyone!

I would really love to get some advice from the group. I am approaching the finish line on a vacuum form model of a Ki-21. I am very proud of how it is going so far and plan on entering it into competitions in 2016. I researched the heck out of the snake weave camouflage that was often used on these aircraft. The available images show planes with unevenly applied and somewhat sloppy lines....it WAS war after all...and I planned on mimicking that on my model. The problem is that though I think it is an effective job as simulating how this effect looked in the real world, it doesn't make for a very appealing model.

I am very close to stripping the paint job and re-applying it in a more "contest friendly" manner. Experience has taught me that when I get irrational impulses, that I need to back off for a while. I am also not very experienced in competitions, so I don't know which would increase my chances in getting noticed.
ki-21.jpg

I would love to hear what some of the veterans of the IPMS circuit have to say. Please don't hold back.

Kind regards,

Pete Patsiavos

Personally, I prefer accuracy over visual appeal. When both can be accommodated, that's great but if you need to pick, I'd go with accuracy.

I have only judged at a competition once and I don't know if it was by IPMS rules. Nonetheless, I came away with a big learning: if you have a sloppy build (seams showing, asymmetry, etc.) the judge may not even look at your paint. Some of the best paint jobs in our competitions get eliminated if the construction doesn't meet the first hurdle. Once you are convinced that the construction is sound, make sure your paint is cleanly applied (no runs, splatter marks, excessive build-up, etc). Once you re convinced of that, the replication of an uneven paint scheme should be supported by photos of you subject and stated on your info card. Having said all that, judges are human and you get what you get.

The final question you should ask yourself is: "Is this model for me or for the judges?"

You seem to have captured the pattern very well, for me there are some spots that definitely require improvement, the heavy dark 'dot' on the port wingtip midway between the wing tip and Hinomaru, and a few heavy squiggles around the starboard Hinomaru.

You seem to have captured the pattern very well, for me there are some spots that definitely require improvement, the heavy dark 'dot' on the port wingtip midway between the wing tip and Hinomaru, and a few heavy squiggles around the starboard Hinomaru.
Thank you very much for the honest feedback...I agree with your assessment. Ill be sure to post new pics when I am able too.

Have a good one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back