painting corrugatted aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bernhart

2012 Forum Fantasy Football Champion
Jan 9, 2007
Canada
anyone have a method for painting planes that are corrugatted? I'm doing a JU 52 and not sure how would mask it that would stop any paint running along the corragations?

Try using a liquid mask.

When I was sign painting I used Gripflex. It's a rubberized liquid that could be applied with a roller or sprayed in multiple coats for coverage. It was water based, and when finished just peel it off. Any problem areas it was just a spray from a hose kinda melted it so it could be washed off.

I just got a small bottle of mask from the hobby shop for them pesky areas. Apply it, use a straight edge and a light touch to trim the line, or even freehand a line. Peel off the area to be painted and Bob's your uncle.

Is this what you were after???

Might try FROG masking tape. Has a special adhesive that reacts with paint to eliminate any creep. Run a fingernail or toothpick along each valley corrugation to make sure it sticks there

I think Bill is right. There is no need for using toothpicks when masking with a liquid mask ( e.g. Maskol of Humbrol etc... ). Also I would suggest using the Blue Tack that is a reusable putty-like pressure-sensitive adhesive. It can be easy adjusted to any surfaces ( flat, rugged or just corrugatted... )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back