Painting figurines.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Enamel paint will not stick to these. I scrubbed them, painted a matt coat on them and nothing makes enamel paint stick. What do I need to do to keep enamel paint on?

You should give them a good wash in dish soap and water. Scrub with an old tooth brush, rinse, and let dry thoroughly. To make sure, apply a thin coat of primer. After that, should be no reason enamel won't stick.

I looked at your Luftwaffe dio post, the figures appear to be those soft vinyl 1/72 put out by Airfix(?) if so, spray them lightly with Rust-oleum grey primer for plastic lawn furniture, then paint as you will. Don't handle them by anything but the base to stop them from cracking and shedding the paint.

Thank meatloaf. Unfortunately, only Airfix and Revell make 1:72 figures for Luftwaffe so the options on what you want as far as figure positioning is slim.

If they are made of vinyl you will have a tough time making any model enamel, acrylic, or lacquer paint stick. Your need a vinyl paint which is flexible. Unfortunately these are usually designed for the auto industry. SEM makes a number for different paints for vinyl but they are in large spray cans. You can also look for paints which are designed for painting leather. Paul's post will work but the paint you apply over the primer is not flexible and will crack with any movement

Can't answer for the companies if indeed these are vinyl. Perhaps vinyl is easier/better at casting in the smaller scales. When I could only find the required paint in large spray cans I used to spray drectly into the can top at close range until I had a puddle of liquid paint in the cap. Then use a brush. If your figures are wearing coveralls, paint the entire figurine with the overalls color. then just small areas remain, flesh, boots, belts, tools, etc

The Airfix figures (dating from the 1960s) are polythene, not vinyl, whilst the Revell figures are (fairly soft) styrene. Once washed as previously described, there should be no problem painting them and, if handled carefully, the paint should adhere. However, natural greases from fingers, will tend to cause the paint to lift, so it's a good idea to leave each figure as long as possible before placing them into the diorama.
Also, ensure that the (enamel) paint is thoroughly stirred before painting the figures, in order to minimise the possibility of the pigment not being fully integrated with the carrier oil - this would cause the paint to lift, or not adhere, especially on the Airfix figures. I still have some of the latter, painted around 30 years ago, which have hardened and easily resist chipping and flaking.
Have a look at my Halifax build, as I have used exactly the same figure sets, and, in the case of the Revell figures, these are Luftwaffe converted to represent RAF personnel.

I have another question. Actually Part one of probably a few reference uniform colors.

Is anyone able to post a pic of what a commanders Luftwaffe uniform would look like as far as colors? Eastern Front 1942 or later?

What rank, type of dress etc? Actual uniform was the standard Luftwaffe blue grey, in various styles depending on 'dress code' and rank, whilst flying clothing could vary.

Terry, polyethylene is almost impossible to paint as nothing sticks to it. Common paints will not chemically bond to the surface nor will water "wet" it. If you have any plastic paint buckets around you can just peel the dried paint right off. Krylon is supposed to have a new chemically formulated paint that will bond but again we are talking about large 12oz spray cans. Rustoleum makes a plastic "primer" but I do not know if it will work on the poyolefin-type plastics.
As to styrene that's common plastic model plastic any enamel, acrylic, or lacquer sould have worked unless he had a lot of oils or mold-release agents on it

Last edited:
Well, unless you are having Goering visit in his pearl-grey uniform, the standard is the LW blue-grey, all ranks. The mechanics wore a black coverall. General officers could have a white facing on the "turned out" lapels, is that what you are asking?
The movie "The Battle of Britian" shows the uniforms quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back