Painting Round Roundels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi guys.

In preparation for the Aces Group Build, I've gathered up various decal sheets. I'm doing a Corsair II flown by Canadian Leslie Durno, the FAA's first Corsair ace. However, I've noticed I dont have all the roundels I need so I'll likely have to paint some of them, particularly the side roundels. I MIGHT be able to put a couple together, but the sizes are such that it's going to be very tight.

Also, the roundels on the bottom of the wings have different coloured rings where red has been painted over, however I don't know what the second colour is. I'm normally good with FAA colours, but I can't figure out what this one is.

89b9e81c.png

d9db7c81.png

The roundels appear to have been altered to the SEAC type, which were Dark Blue and 'off white', the latter made with a mix of white and blue, giving a pale blue shade. The roundels under the wing appear to have had the white area reduced by overpainting in a lighter shade of blue.
Let me know how many you need, and the approximate sizes, as I have a sheet of SEAC roundels and can possibly help.

Thanks Terry. Here's what I have. Between 3 Aeromaster sheets and that Eduard sheet that came with the Hellcats I've got enough roundels to mark up a whole squadron, however somehow the only roundel I know I have the right one of is the roundels for the tops of the wings. Those are from the Avenger sheet. I measured, and by my measurements decal 20x SHOULD fit inside the roundel of decal 1 on the Hellcat sheet, which would provide me with the side roundels, but I'm a tad leery about that as they'd have to fit exactly so no white would show through. However I'm not sure what I'd do with the bottom. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure of what size everything should be.

IMG-1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

PS, I wish I had had the Avenger sheet during the Pacific GB!

They appear quite black in the scans, but are the correct blue.

EDIT: Just realized something. Decal 33 from the last sheet posted would fit on top of decal 1 on the Hellcat sheet. That last sheet I didn't realize I had originally as it was sitting in the bottom of the "British Bag" in the decal files. Obviously the bottom still is an issue.

Last edited:
Looks like you'll be OK apart from the under wing roundels. You might have to try to mask and paint what I think is a lighter blue inner ring. What scale is it BTW? I might have some which are a lighter blue, which could be used to create the underside ones, in combination with other decals.

Bit difficult at that relatively small size, but you could use a compass cutter. The other way is to reverse mask, using self-adhesive circular labels. Paint the main area, then mask with different size labels, (the type used for price tags etc in shops), the repeat for the other colours. Most stationery stores stock them. Hard part is finding the required sizes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back