Part ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
Fellers, I was given this yonks ago by my Mum (don't know where she got it from) and was wondering if anyone know's what type of a/c it is from.
The only serial number on it is - AN 3022-8B plus a GH under the toggle switch.
Any info appreciated.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 31
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 30
The AN 3022-8B is probably the part number. If it falls under the old way we used to do part numbers, the AN stands for Army/Navy, which would include the Air Force. I can't be absolutely sure, but didn't a lot of aircraft share that switch? Joe?

Thanks Eric, sorry for the late reply mate I forgot I posted this :rolleyes:I understand that this is probably a generic switch used in many aircraft, but can anyone add anything else? WWII vintage? or post war?
Thanks.

Eric hit the nail on the head about the part number, basically its a standard part and could of been installed on any number of aircraft. Originally manufactured in the war years, it was probably manufactured years after the war.

Standard SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch that was used, in this case, to arm the gun and gun-camera solenoids. It closed the circuit between the guns and gun-camera with the gun trigger switch. Some aircraft had one switch that armed all gun solenoids (P-47 according to my Pop) while others had one for each gun (F4U-series left console Ref: Whistling Death).

The AN is the old part numbering system and was the abbreviation for Army-Navy. Now we use MS (Military Standards) and are slowly evolving to standards like NAS (National Aerospace Standards). All of them are being identified and described in applicable ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) specifications and will culminate in one standard for products and materials. Unfortunately, the old specs are free (public domain) on-line in most instances. ASTM documents must be purchased.

The topic switch can probably be Googled by its AN spec number. Responses will also probably reveal its national stock number for similar products.

Edit: The red guard over the switch is not part of the switch. It's an accessory. The switch itself looks like an old Cutler-Hammer standard. Same for the guard. The guards were obviously designed to prevent unintentional closing of the switch or they were used to "capture" the switch to prevent unintentional opening of it. I work with this stuff all the time as an A&P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back