parts of aircraft( can someone identify these parts) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stuart3009

Airman
Sep 9, 2019
IMG_0447.jpg

Clean up the parts enough to read the part numbers and some of the items will become easier to identify.

One part appears to have the part number 30030 395 2 and a 6S inspection stamp on it

The 6S indicates it was made by Supermarine but I cannot remember which factory - possibly Southampton

30030 is the Spitfire Windscreen and sliding hood (canopy) assembly for all models that use the early windscreen and canopies. That assembly includes deicing and gun sight mount.

1641242125950.png
1641242817888.png
1641242769923.png

I cannot identify item 395 but there are at least 651 different parts to the 30030 group assembly. The 2 in the part number often indicates there are left and right handed parts but Supermarine were not consistent on that as often the left/right parts are numbered 651 and 652.
1641242337563.png

Last edited:
The twisted bit on the right loos like part of the inner frame and the stay rod from the W/T or Ballast door just behind the cockpit Pt side. Black box is a fuse cover used in a number of places in the cockpit

Agreed but part numbers give an indication of what model.

The 30030 part was used on probably all models but other parts may be say from a Mk 21 which would limit the models to 21 and later.

As MiTasol says, very much Spitfire, and the parts could be from a Mk1 Spitfire onwards. The top two paarts are wing structure, the piece with the holes is a stiffener for the leading edge, the piece on the right part of the internal triangulation. Where, approximately, did you find them?

I first tended to agree with Steve that the part on the right was a door stay. Part numbers would help.

Given the large rivet looks like it is attached to an intercostal and I think the door stays were bolted. not riveted. at the pivot points I think you are right. I cannot see a complete part number on the stiffener or the intercostal but if the OP provides then we will have a much better idea of what the part is.

Clean up the parts enough to read the part numbers and some of the items will become easier to identify.

One part appears to have the part number 30030 395 2 and a 6S inspection stamp on it

The 6S indicates it was made by Supermarine but I cannot remember which factory - possibly Southampton

30030 is the Spitfire Windscreen and sliding hood (canopy) assembly for all models that use the early windscreen and canopies. That assembly includes deicing and gun sight mount.

View attachment 653573View attachment 653578View attachment 653576

I cannot identify item 395 but there are at least 651 different parts to the 30030 group assembly. The 2 in the part number often indicates there are left and right handed parts but Supermarine were not consistent on that as often the left/right parts are numbered 651 and 652.
View attachment 653574
how did u find all this information is there a website

I did a MkXVI and the door stay was different to the MkII, some were like the photo above some were like a scissor that you push beyond centre to lock open. Maybe different factories had different ideas or non standard parts from repair units. Just a thought

This is the part I thought was on the left, but I'm a few rivets short. will keep looking.
1641325211109.png

how did u find all this information is there a website
There are multiple websites and one of the best is WWII Era Military Blueprints & Manuals | AirCorps Library but it has a fairly small collection of Spitfire drawings. Their new parts tree is harder to understand than the old one tho so I will break it down for you.

Basically the Supermarine drawing number is constructed using the three digit model number followed by the major assembly number.

The Mk I Spitfire was the model 300 and any part designed for that aircraft started 300 regardless of which submodel it was later used on. If the same part was used on the Seafire or Spiteful it had the same part number. If the same part was used on the Walrus it used the Walrus part number.

For the Mk II (model 329) only parts that were different from the Mk I started 329. Etc for other models but some things like the universal wing had their own model number. The wing part identified by Ian will have a number on it and the first three digits MAY therefore identify if it had an early or universal wing. Most of the parts were still identical to the Mk I at that stage so unless that particular part had been changed it will still have a Mk I part number. This is standard throughout the industry which is why P-40s have a lot of P-36 part numbers and Kingcobras a lot of P-39 part numbers, etc, etc.

The next two digits identify the system or major assembly. The same system coding was used on previous Supermarine aircraft - most of which were seaplanes or flying boats and the "missing" system numbers are those used on the earlier aircraft for things like floats, etc.
1641334525538.png

After a space the next digits identify the individual component in the system. Using Ians example above 283 is that diagonal brace including the rivets and attached doubler but excluding the rivets that attach it to items 275/276. 277/8, 281 and 287. 275 is the left hand version of the top cap on that rib and 276 is a mirror image for the right hand side.
If there is a "left and right" of a part that is used in the same next higher assembly (like left and right and/or upper/lower brackets that hold a box) then there will often, but not always, be a third number group like with your 30030 395 2

Last edited:
There are multiple websites and one of the best is WWII Era Military Blueprints & Manuals | AirCorps Library but it has a fairly small collection of Spitfire drawings. Their new parts tree is harder to understand than the old one tho so I will break it down for you.

Basically the Supermarine drawing number is constructed using the three digit model number followed by the major assembly number.

The Mk I Spitfire was the model 300 and any part designed for that aircraft started 300 regardless of which submodel it was later used on. If the same part was used on the Seafire or Spiteful it had the same part number. If the same part was used on the Walrus it used the Walrus part number.

For the Mk II (model 329) only parts that were different from the Mk I started 329. Etc for other models but some things like the universal wing had their own model number. The wing part identified by Ian will have a number on it and the first three digits MAY therefore identify if it had an early or universal wing. Most of the parts were still identical to the Mk I at that stage so unless that particular part had been changed it will still have a Mk I part number. This is standard throughout the industry which is why P-40s have a lot of P-36 part numbers and Kingcobras a lot of P-39 part numbers, etc, etc.

The next two digits identify the system or major assembly. The same system coding was used on previous Supermarine aircraft - most of which were seaplanes or flying boats and the "missing" system numbers are those used on the earlier aircraft for things like floats, etc.
View attachment 653680

After a space the next digits identify the individual component in the system. Using Ians example above 283 is that diagonal brace including the rivets and attached doubler but excluding the rivets that attach it to items 275/276. 277/8, 281 and 287. 275 is the left hand version of the top cap on that rib and 276 is a mirror image for the right hand side.
If there is a "left and right" of a part that is used in the same next higher assembly (like left and right and/or upper/lower brackets that hold a box) then there will often, but not always, be a third number group like with your 30030 395 2
many thanks for this have u got all the above on file as i went to the website and u have to pay

Ok thought I would give it a shot

Finally found an image. Top right part, with single rivet, from further out in the wing, and well behind the leading edge. Several of them above the guy's shoulder
1641580236666.png

The top left is the end of a wing leading edge stiffener, which only has rivets on one edge. Bottom right of the photo.

Attachments

• Wings11.jpg
    Wings11.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back