Paying somebody in the UK

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
I have an interesting issue that I would appreciate any input into. I need to pay somebody in the UK from the US in a non-electronic form (ie no Electronica Banking Tranfers or using Pay Pal) in Pounds Sterling. The only way I can think of doing this is to puchase American Express Travelers Cheques in Pounds and mail them to him.

Any other suggestions???? Thanks!

David

Send the cheque via secure courier David.
The only other thing I can think of is the currency restrictions leaving the USA . A cheque is a 'cash equivalent'
Most people prefer inter bank etransfers these days.
Cheers
John

Another thought. Find out if he wants to buy something at a certain store. Contact the store and buy a gift certificate with your credit card in his name for pick up.

You know what?
Sounds fishy!

I had a chat pal in Russia years ago, wanted me to buy him Levis and boots. When I said I couldn't, was the last I ever heard from him. I don't care where they are. If it's not transparent, forget it. Could get you in more hot water than you need mate.

If they still exist, then use an International Money Order. I don't think the UK Post Office has the facility for Western Union, or any other form of wire transfer anymore. Alternatively, as suggested, send travellers cheques by recorded means, or Dollars by the same means.

I wish but has is "old school" when it comes to things like this. I've already received what I needed from him, I just need to pay him. I think Travelers Cheques are probably the way to go. Thanks fellas, as always I appreciate the help!

David

Another safer option David...
Transfer the money to a British forum member who can then send your man a cheque recorded delivery.
Less likely to go wrong.
Cheers
John

I've sent a U.S. Postal Service money order to Britain, it's been a few years now since I did, but they had one for overseas (looks different than the usual one) and the clerk converted the Dollar to Pound right there for the total amount (plus the fee)...

Yep, that's the International Money Order, the equivalent to the various countries 'own' Postal order or Money Order. Not sure they still exist though.

I checked the US Postal Service and they no longer do International Money Orders for the UK, in fact it's been cut down to something like 22 countries only - mainly in the America's. I called my bank and they do handle international money orders in Pounds Sterling so I ordered one today and should be here next Wednesday.

On a humorous note I called about Traveler's Checks and was told a lot of places no longer will accept them and that in fact the place that sells them does not accept them. Huh???

Thanks for your help gents!

Paypal is SO much easier!

Good to know you've got it sorted David. And thanks for the tip-off regarding Travellers Cheques - I recall hearing somewhere that they aren't accepted as widely as they were.

Most major stores in the UK stopped accepting cheques about four years ago, and trying to pay a hotel bill with cash is almost impossible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back