Paypal scam ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I received an e-mail, supposedly from 'Paypal', informing me that some 'unusual activity' had been recorded on my account, and that it was though that perhaps an unauthorised user had gained access to it, and that the account was restricted until they received some confirmation information from me.
All of this was 'laid out' on what looked like a genuine 'Paypal' page, with the correct logos, colours etc, and directed me to log-on to my account, and then complete all bank details, card numbers etc etc.
This looked very suspicious, and a probable 'give away' was the inclusion, in small print, of what looked like a private individual's e-mail address, so I immediately deleted the e-mail.
I checked my account details via the genuine 'Paypl' route, and all appears to be fine.

So beware chaps !

Got that email as well today, but....as it starts with "Dear customer", I knew that it's a scam email....
Effing losers! :lol:

I've had that message a few times saying that I needed to "update" my account as well as the suspicious activity. I delete those as they are phishing notifications.

With differing variations on the same theme, that one keeps going round in circles. If I get anything like that, I always check with PayPal who by default are also notified of the problem.

It must have 'done the rounds' good style this time - when I tried to notify Paypal security, their 'system' was so busy with e-mails, I couldn't leave a message !
No doubt may users were trying to notify Paypal. As the culprit included an e-mail address, maybe he, or she, will be caught.

I'll admit, I was nearly caught out, being tired and in pain, as I actually had done some transactions with purchases from the USA, Canada, and France, all within a couple of days, and at first thought this could be viewed as 'unusual activity'. But as soon as I saw the 'boxes' requesting Bank details etc, I knew it was a scam.

It must have 'done the rounds' good style this time - when I tried to notify Paypal security, their 'system' was so busy with e-mails, I couldn't leave a message !
No doubt may users were trying to notify Paypal. As the culprit included an e-mail address, maybe he, or she, will be caught.

May their undeveloped balls be deep-fried and hung around their necks!

I have seen this tactic used with several organizations....even the IRS. the websites for the most part looked legit down to the logos....but if you look at the sites address in the box for it on the browser it is usually www.somethingbogus.com/thatsite not the reall address for the company. if you ever get a warning/courtesy notification from an institution....do NOT use the link they provide for you. log in using the bookmark for the site you have or call the toll free customer service number you already have. this obviously works because they keep doing it.

Yep, I got a notification purporting to be from HM Revenue and Customs, informing me of a tax rebate. It all looked legit, but that organsistion does not use e-mail to inform about rebates, it's done by personal mail !

With the end of the year in sight and TAX-TIME around the corner the IRS scam is in full force here. We've gotten two calls so far. Caller ID even shows IRS WASHINGTON. They state that you owe money on last years taxes and that unless you make a immediate payment you will be arrested and taken to jail. They're fun calls and I love them. Strung one idiot along for almost 15min. Told another to "hold" while I got my credit card...Cretins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back