PBY Black Cat Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ramamungus

Recruit
Jan 9, 2013
Morrilton, Arkansas
Just discovered this forum and love it.

I recently got a Monogram 5609 1:48 PBY.

My question is how would a Black Cats PBY tail wing of looked with a Bu Number of 08434? This was the plane that Nathan Gordon flew on Feb 15th 1944, which for his actions that day he was awarded the Medal of Honor. I know most websites say that he was flying "The Arkansas Traveler" bu number 08139 that day. Being from the same small Arkansas town that Nathan was from and working on a project for the local museum I have had the honors to get to view many things of Nathan's history including his flight log...he was flying 08434.

I am including a link to a picture of Nicholas Trudgain picture of Nathans rescue....it says 71...should it be 34?

PacificWrecks - "Black Cat Rescue" depicts Lt(jg) Nathan Gordon piloting PBY "Arkansas Traveler" 08139 taking off after rescuing B-25 crew off Kavieng

Looks like the right section to me.
As far as the number goes, "71" was probably a squadron I.D. number, AFAIK, the Navy didn't start matching Bureau numbers to squadron I.D. numbers untill the late 40's.
And welcome to the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back