Photoetch for dummies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crunch

Senior Airman
Hi Guys,

I'm just about to start using photoetch parts for the first time, and have no idea what I'm doing with them! :lol:

I've just recieved an order of detail sets for a 1/48 SM79 which is one of those kits that I want to get right... So being smart about it, I'm putting that aside for some practice work first.

So if I could, I'm after some help, tutorial style, on how to use etch parts.

What tools?
Forming techniques?
Gluing techniques?
Finishing techniques?

And anything else I may need to know.... :rolleyes:

Much appreciated! 8)

As requested...

tools ... an hammer, pilers and an anvil.
forming techniques ... warm bending.
gluing techniques ... welding
finishing techniques ... paiting with Hammerite colours.

;) :lol:

Thanks for keeping this thread around. I have "trialed and errored" --mainly errored-- my way around pe parts, and had them fly off into gone forever land when I squeezed them too hard with a tweezer, so the two links from N4521U were very helpful.

Oh yes, the old flying into the carpet never to return land. You have found it takes great care to keep these little buggers under total control. Glue with thin and thick super glue, just depends where and what. Careful too with placing the part, the super glue will suck it out of the tweezers and put it right where you Don't want it. I find it helps to have the part held in the tweezer, a drop of SG where you want it to go, and press it in place with the tip of the exacto or scalpel blade with the other hand.

Paint normally, spray primer does help.

Bill

You can do most photo etch easily with just a bit of crazy glue/super glue and a pair of scalpels the only problem is having patience and having a lot of practice with it :)

I usually put a drop of super glue on a paper towel (a 3 roll of Bounty folded over so you don't have your paper towel becoming a permanent part of your deks) then dip the part lightly in the drop just enough so it stick, sometimes for smaller parts you need a lot of glue and other times it goes on at the first try. Always remember to keep the canopy out of the way, or it might fog, if you need to stick PE on a canopy, use epoxy its like super glue with "webs" you need to be careful because small strands can form and stick on whatever surface, making it look like a bunch of fibers on the model, or a spider web, after it drys. Epoxy shouldn't fog the canopy.

For finding lost parts in the carpet, I usually turn off the lights get a flashlight, stick my head to the ground like an ostrich and go to work finding it, it takes me max 2 days to find it :D but so far running a clean record atm :D with only 1 really tiny part lost :S

I make my own CA glue applicators. Get your hands on a sewing needle and cut the top of the eye. This will leave a nice U shape for placing a drop of glue. To avoid accidents I stick the sharp end into a cork of which there is a plentiful supply at our house :)
Wipe your applicator clean with an acetone based nail varnish remover ready for next time.

For lost parts get your hands on some tights (pantyhose across the pond). Ask first,unless you want to develop a permanent limp or worse!!!!! Cut a section out and stretch it over the tube from your vaccuum cleaner,taping or tying it in place. Wizz around the floor or carpet and with a bit of lucK your miniscule lost part will finish up sucked up onto the tights' material,easy to retrieve.

These are tried and tested methods which I use all too often.

Cheers

Steve

Stona,
I never thought of that idea. Brilliant. Wonder what looks I will get in the woman'd section at the local store looking for pantyhose.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back