Photos taken in 1970 firefight seen for the first time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Everybody seemed to assume any blood trail was human. Not necessarily so.
That was a jungle, there was still some wildlife left, even in 1970.

That sort of reminds me of time exporsures of "Mad Minutes" that they'd have at some firebases in Vietnam.
They'd get everybody up at some ungodly hour, like 3am, put everyone on the perimeter, and everything would fire outward into the bush for one minute.
It made for some impressive pictures.
One of the mad minutes was rumored to have caught a sapper attack coming through the concertina wire just by chance.

Not sure of your use of "mad-minute" I can never recall getting up in the middle of the night "just" to shoot at nothing. However, when a Recon unit was trapped and surrounded a "mad-minute" would be called to pin the VC down for a time allowing the unit to break out and run away as fast as we could along some pre-planned route to an extraction site

I've seen the mad minute used at more that one firebase. The idea was to shift the timing of it around so the NVA never knew when it might happen.
Some units would use it to get rid of their basic load so it would be replaced with fresh ammo.

If you've never been involved in a guerilla-type war, the frustration level is impossible to convey to anyone else. One lone VC with one AK drove an entire camp over the edge. All our actions were small unit so a "Madminute" was an act of desparation

That wasnt a fun day for the sniper for sure. "Just another couple bursts, just like yesterd-ooolyyy shiii..." Except in Vietnamese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back