Piece of wreckage, any guesses from what type of plane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Joeleer

Recruit
Nov 20, 2013
Hello everyone!

I recently bought this piece of wreckage, supposedly from WW2. I didn't get too much information, given that the original owner had passed away, and his
son-in-law didn't know much about it. This is what i know:

1: It's from a wing
2: It's WW2 era
3: It's english
4: Made of some kind of light weight metal, maybe aluminium.
5: It's from a wreckage, its clearly warped.

There are numbers and words on it, most numbers are obscured by paint/hard to see, and there is a circular sign with "SHU267" written in it. The word "TOP" is also visible.

That is pretty much all I know, and I would really appreciate all the help I can get!

If you need better pictures, just say so! :)

Here's a picture:
IMG_0065_zps118b921f.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the paint colour certainly looks British, and it could be part of a wing rib. But which aircraft, I have no idea!
Maybe someone here can help from the numbers stamped on it.

I understand that it is a difficult task, too bad the son-in-law didn't have more clues. I can make out "F600R" and another number "3294908" and "x1r139". I am a little uncertain about the latter. There are other numbers wich are larger in size than the ones i have mentioned here, but I will need to study them further to be able to make them out. The plane might have chrashed in Denmark.

I know it's a tough question, but am I posting in a wrong kind of forum, are there another forum wich would be more suitable to post in? The numbers must have some kind of meaning, but I am all new to this, and have no clue where to start looking! Please help:)

It should be OK in this forum, where people will see it. Give it time - more members have more free time over the weekend, so maybe you might get a response then. But, it is rather difficult with not much information to go on.

Sure, I'll wait then! I hope I didn't seem inpatient with you all, it's just that it's exciting to have a potential piece of history lying on my desk. For all I know now, it might "just" be from a '56 icetruck:) But knowing from what type of plane (aircraft?) it is from, I might be able, if lucky, to have some kind of clue to where it chrashed. Or a least narrow the possibilities down a bit. I've searched the most trivial examples of wing frames from Spitfires, Flying Fortress and so on, but from the few pictures on the internet I found, I couldn't spot an obvious match. That made me even more curious. I guess there's nothing special about this piece, but if it actually is from WW2, it's a piece of history, and thats enough for me, so I'll be patient and see what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back