Piper L-4 in 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
Terry (Airframes) commented in my J-3 Cub thread that he was thinking of building an L-4 with that kit. Having built one of the Heller 1/50th models a while back and not being very pleased with the results I went out and bought a few kits to try and build a better version. What I intend to do is take the majority parts of the Minicraft 1/48th L-21 kit (a re-pop of the old Super cub kit that was released by at least 3 other companies), modify the clear parts and tail profile slightly, replace the front cowling and engine parts with the Hobbycraft J-3/L-4 ones and should have a much more accurate 1/48th L-4.

Pics 2 3 are basicly the same kit. Super Cub/ L-4

Pic 4 is the Heller L-4

Pic 5 compares the Super Cub parts to the L-4 parts. L-4 clear parts are to the right. L-21 fuselage is the white one.

As of now, my plans are to scratchbuild a Stinson L-5 as I have been unable to attain a Sanger vac kit in 1/48.

These artillery spotter/liaison aircraft have been neglected far too long, both in modeling and in the history books. Their contribution to the war was immense.

Attachments

• L-4kits.jpg
    L-4kits.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 337
  • L-4kits1.jpg
    L-4kits1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 483
  • L-4kits2.jpg
    L-4kits2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 570
  • L-4kits3.jpg
    L-4kits3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 302
  • L-4kits4.jpg
    L-4kits4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 289
Thanks Andy, useful info. I think I might use the Minicraft version as a basis, or go up scale to the Bronco 1/35th kit, with suitable Jeep and figures. It's a shame an old friend of mine hasn't got his L4 theses days, I could have used that for some good detail pics. Got to fly it a few times, and boy, was it fun. Apart from seeing cars below going faster than you were flying!

If you need any detailed information on the Supercub, let me know. I oversee 7 of them at my full time job and at any given time we have one in maintenance. I would glady take photos for you.

Attachments

• Tow 4 at Greeley.jpg
    Tow 4 at Greeley.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back