PISTON ENGINE AIRCRAFT JET KILLS - POST WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
Just to keep things organized, post WW2 discussions could go here...

Eventually we'll tally up what we have...

Joe

JoeB, here's a new one ... Could have gone to the gunner kills thread.

Just found this:

海不扬波 - 新浪BLOG

A Chinese account states that on Feb. 22, 1952:

Deputy Regiment Leader Chen, Qi (陈琦) of 6th Air Division (6D) 18th Fighter Air Regiment (18 FAR) led 40 MiG-15 of the 16 FAR and 18 FAR to intercept small groups of UN aircraft in the Pyongyang area.

A B-26 was spotted and Chen led his wingman Men, Gui-cheng (门贵成) in to attack. Before the B-26 was shot down, its return fire damaged Chen's MiG. Chen crashed on his way back to Tatung-kao and was killed.

According to KORWALD, an RB-26C of the 6166th WRSq, 67th Tac Recon Wg was lost near Pyongyang at 1225L on this day. Looks like this might have been the aircraft Chen attacked.

All four crew members from this RB-26C (1LT George N Bain, A1c Edwin W. Collins, TSGT Carl M. Spence, 1LT Russell J Wolfgram.) are MIA. At least their families will now find some closure and know that these men put up a good fight and caused damage to the enemy before they went down.

JoeB, here's a new one ... Could have gone to the gunner kills thread.
Wow, I didn't even know the fate of that RB-26, much less that it downed one of its attackers. I'd guess that's the cause anyway, it would be a pretty big coincidence if it wasn't. There's little in any US record I've seen about that incident besides that one line in Korwald (which is from the 12th TRS's periodic historical report for the period; the daily intel summary for that day gives a slightly different time). The 12th TRS lost two RB-26C's to enemy a/c then, the other was 44-35668 whose disapearance matches the date and time of a claim by a Soviet 351st (Night) Fighter Regiment La-11 that May 15. But the 12th TRS wasn't aware of the cause in that case either.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back