Planes that flew in Poland 1939 and their performances

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

toffigd said:
but till May 1939 no one expected it will start in Sept. Unfortunately, it was too late to re-equip with P.24...
They just didn't want to know or didn't respect the imminenet danger of Nazi agression. With the begining of 1939, thousands of Czechoslovaks wqere crossing the Czechoslovak-Polish border and asking to be given a chance to fight against Hitler in the lines of Polish army... They mostly heard "s powrotom" or were refused and told that "We'll kick Germans' arses"... Then it ended as "Cirkus plechówy"...

toffigd said:
And the name for Polish Air Force is Polskie Sily Powietrzne.
I thought it's Polskie Lotnictwo". so what's the most accurate call for PAF?

"Cirkus plechówy" ---> What does it mean??? It's in Czech I believe?

And Polskie Lotnictwo would be rather Polish Aviaton. Polskie Siły Powietrzne stands for PAF.

they also flew something called an i.a.r 80 which is a strange looking single engined single seat fighter armed with 4 7.92mm machine guns.

they also flew something called an i.a.r 80 which is a strange looking single engined single seat fighter armed with 4 7.92mm machine guns. i will have a look when i get home for some more.

I think it looks OK but it is a bit strange. Stats are on the supplied link.
iar80-2.jpg

From: http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/RARC/iar80.html

I thought only the Romanians flew it? Anyway the initial delivery was in 1941 so how could they fly it? It's first flight was in 1938 but I don't think the Romanians would have sold it to the Polish.

I have to agree with lanc, the long fuselage, radial engine and far back cockpit look like a Corsair. Crank the wings and stick them further back, it's almost a replica.

Well the IAR was designed of P.24 (P.11c). Romanians just changed the wings into down position, added some good engine and a retractable undercarriage. Compare the rear fuselage behind the cockpit and tail - their the same as in P.24 (or P.11c) - it's the same.

Poles never used it, especially in 1939 (what a pity... :p).

Does it look like a Corsair? A bit.

the only similarity i can see is that it has a radial engige. i suppose if you where to squint and where drunk it may look like one.

I can see it being mistaken for a Corsair from the distance. Yes the wings are differenents and such not but the fact that the cockpit is placed farther back on the fuselage like a Corsair makes it similar.

shrunken and straght wing corsair.
its production was cancelled soon after so that they could concentrate on making Bf109G-6s in romania
and it also had a Fighter-Bomber version called the IAR 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back