Planes that look the part:thugs,brutes,killers.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How about the f6 looks like a bulldog with the big front end

If you're talking of F6F Hellcat, I suppose you could say that, as well as for most radial powered planes. F6Fs have a certain grace, a flow of line if you will. Lots of big guns, don't in and of themselves qualify either. I'm speaking
of airborne bogeymen, an aesthetic exercise for sure, but its the sense that makes a spitfire or lockheed constellation to be unilaterally hailed as beautiful.

well now guess I could post this of the bomber killer Bf 110G-2 of ZG 26 . ugly but hard hitting enough .......... in 43 early 44 and even in the summer of 44 with II./ZG 1. Can tell you they made a lasting impression on many US bomber crews to this day

Attachments

• Me110-G2_2.jpg
    Me110-G2_2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 104
I think the Lancaster looks like it would have excelled in the role of Sewage Airlift and Disposal (SAD). You could just see them pumping like 2,500 gallons of latrine waste into a big tank in her bomb bay.

The British would have fared better with our more rugged and combat worthy B-17's and B-24's.
Hope Lanc didn't hear that.

Found one in an ad for a kit, this thing bumps off the Beaufighter for most ugly.
Ready?, its the Iman Ro 57, a plane so bad looking, you'd forget your chute, and hope you got to bail out. Wish I could post a Img, yeeuch!.

Typhoons and Tempests.
You start looking at the tail and fuselage and you're O.K., move up the fuselage to the wings and you're thinking:confused: "Uh-oh, what's going on," see the undercarriage and those huge tires,:( "oh my, what have I..." then you hit that open mouth radiator and... "it's gonna swallow me!":cry:

I love those two.

Ken

I think the Ro-57 looks attractive compared to the Beaufighter. (perhaps I need a stronger prescription for my glasses) She looks like she has the tail of a Hurricane.

Ro57-1.jpg

IMAMRo57Foto1.jpg

I think the Ro-57 looks attractive compared to the Beaufighter. (perhaps I need a stronger prescription for my glasses) She looks like she has the tail of a Hurricane.

Ro57-1.jpg

IMAMRo57Foto1.jpg

On the strength of that profile I'll concede, yet its still a brute. Good call on H.P
Victor, totally vicious looking.

I think the Lancaster looks like it would have excelled in the role of Sewage Airlift and Disposal (SAD). You could just see them pumping like 2,500 gallons of latrine waste into a big tank in her bomb bay.

The British would have fared better with our more rugged and combat worthy B-17's and B-24's.
Hope Lanc didn't hear that.
Or maybe they wanted a bomber with payload. I think losing the capability afforded by the Tallboy and the Grand Slam would have been terrible for the war effort.

Can't believe nobody mentioned the Me 410 for bad@ss looks.

(can't believe this thread was revived after 2 years!)

To me, the most sinister looking fighter is the Messerschmitt 109. I think it is mostly the grey and dark colors it is often painted. Much like DerAdler's signature.

Rugged, can do attitude: F4U Corsair.

Sweet and sexy: Spitfire and Mustang.

Knock your block off if you look at me wrong: Tempest, Thunderbolt, Hellcat.

I agree with all those who prefer no shark mouth on the P-40. Gives it a more regular ole G.I. Joe look.

Fragile, handle with care: Zero and Dornier.

And finally, "its hip to be square" " Wildcat.

The Typhoon and Beaufighter definitely look like flying attitude problems. I would also put the HP Victor in this category, along with the Hellcat. I think the P-38 also has a pretty mean aspect to it, with that slender nose rammed full of firepower... Going back to WWI, I always think the SE5a, with its huge square chin, looks particularly pugnacious too.

EDIT: How could I forget, the EE Lightning is, IMHO, the ultimate design expression of aerial combat. Start with two missiles. Add two stupendously large engines and tiny wings as a means to get them as high up as rapidly as possible. Add a radar to guide the whole lot. Almost as an afterthought, stick a pilot on top to keep it all pointing in the right direction. The whole thing is simply a machine for flinging missiles. No finesse, no elegance, just brute aggression. IMHO, one of the purest fighter designs of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back