Please help identify WWII bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mishkamike

Airman
Feb 23, 2018
Hello, Please help identify this bomber, first I thought this was a Soviet Pe-2 bomber, but after close examination it looks to be something different...

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 03.39.21.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tupolev USB Trainer. Based on the SB-2-M-100-A. Underwent trials in 1938. Most were converted in the field from SB-2-M-103 bombers. So says the Tupolev SB in action book

Gents, I believe that's a Yak-2.
Contrary to the SB-2, which had a radiator intake in front of the engine nacelle, the Yak-2 had its radiator intake on the sides of the engine nacelle. Also, if you look closely behind the first windshield, you will notice that the other one is split in the middle, which is typical for the SB-2.
USB cockpit.PNG

I agree with Geo. That's the USB-2 training version of the SB-2 bomber.

Contrary to the SB-2, which had a radiator intake in front of the engine nacelle, the Yak-2 had its radiator intake on the sides of the engine nacelle. Also, if you look closely behind the first windshield, you will notice that the other one is split in the middle, which is typical for the SB-2.
View attachment 593135

It depends on which variant of the SB-2 you're talking about. Certainly some had the front-engine radiators as depicted in your image. However, other variants had underslung radiators per the image below:

Tupolev_SB_2.jpg

Note that the undercarriage and the engine configuration is identical to the image in the OP whereas the Yak-2 has a very different undercarriage configuration and no "gaping mouth" radiators under the nacelles.

It depends on which variant of the SB-2 you're talking about. Certainly some had the front-engine radiators as depicted in your image. However, other variants had underslung radiators per the image below:

View attachment 593143

Note that the undercarriage and the engine configuration is identical to the image in the OP whereas the Yak-2 has a very different undercarriage configuration and no "gaping mouth" radiators under the nacelles.
I was aware of later SB-2M-103 having a "mouth" radiator but I was specifically refering to the OP picture. As for the one I posted it was only to show the nose installation under another angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back