Poland, Russia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
As the winter months are coming closer and nothing seem to stop them no matter what, I thought that I get busy reading books about some of our members countries past....besides, it'll also keep me hands off when my models are drying...and it's crap on the telly! :lol:

Since it's just about 20 odd years ago that the Berlin Wall came down and Warsaw Pact collapsed I thought that I'd start with the eastern Europe for now....

What good books is there floating around covering then history of:

Poland,
Hungary,
Czechoslovakia,
Romania,
Yugoslavia,
Russia,

Just to mention a few....

8) :D

Hey Jan,

It seems that a guy named Norman Davies is one of nice authors of books about Polish History, not only about particular periods but generally aswell.

Here two books .The rest of his books you can find via Internet.

Attachments

• N Davies vol1.jpg
    N Davies vol1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 220
  • N Davies vol2.jpg
    N Davies vol2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 221
Check this out, too Timothy Garton Ash - Books in English (UK)

Just a reminder - Czechoslovakia does not exist anymore since 1993. It split into two independent countries; Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Niether does Yugoslavia; after the war in the Balkans, independent countries of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia were created. The newest country in the region is Kosovo, but its status as an independent country is in dispute.

A part of Poland, and Czech Republic and Slovakia are not in Eastern Europe but rather in Central Europe. Historically, the Czech Kingdom had always belonged - both politically and geographically - to Western Europe. Czech capital - Prague - was even the capital of the Holy Roman Empire between the 14th and 17th Century...

Hope this helps a bit. :)

I also would recommend Norman Davies books, especially "Rising '44". If you would be interested in not general history but more about aviation then you can check "A Question Of Honor" by Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud (WW2), or "Flight of Eagles" by Robert F. Karolevitz and Ross S. Fenn (Polish Soviet War 1919-1920).

Cheers fellas! I do know that neither Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia exist anymore....I was just making it easy for myself....:oops: :lol:
Did Czechoslovakia only exist for 72 years and about the same for Yugoslavia!? :shock:
Probably better to find something about the Balkans then? :confused: :lol:
Were these countries part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire before independence?

Check this out, too Timothy Garton Ash - Books in English (UK)

Just a reminder - Czechoslovakia does not exist anymore since 1993. It split into two independent countries; Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Niether does Yugoslavia; after the war in the Balkans, independent countries of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia were created. The newest country in the region is Kosovo, but its status as an independent country is in dispute.

A part of Poland, and Czech Republic and Slovakia are not in Eastern Europe but rather in Central Europe. Historically, the Czech Kingdom had always belonged - both politically and geographically - to Western Europe. Czech capital - Prague - was even the capital of the Holy Roman Empire between the 14th and 17th Century...

Hope this helps a bit. :)

This should be in the forum title block in my opinion - it's something that everyone (well mostly me) forgets about all the time. When was the Yugo split? 1991?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back