Polikarpov Fighters (Pic heavy)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nightwitch

Airman
Feb 12, 2009
Here is the I-15bis at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA:

DSCN1316.jpg

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

DSCN1324.jpg

DSCN1325.jpg

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

I-153

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

DSCN1303.jpg

DSCN1304.jpg

DSCN1305.jpg

DSCN1306.jpg

DSCN1307.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1300.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

DSCN1151.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1108.jpg

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

I-16:

DSCN1277.jpg

DSCN1278.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

DSCN1298.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN1096.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1106.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

DSCN1105.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1144.jpg

DSCN1154.jpg

I apologize for my poor camera skills, but I hope these pics give you some impression of the beauty of 1930s Soviet fighter aircraft. I'm in love with the I-16, it's so wonderful in person.

Great pics! I presume from the labelled instrument panels and modern looking seatbelts that these a/c are still flyable?

And do you have any info about the Spitfire in the background of the I-15bis shots? I have never seen a code like that before

These are, as far as I know, still flyable airplanes. Nearly every AC at the Military Aviation Museum is flyable. However, I don't think they get a lot of stick time since being brought in from New Zealand.

As to the Spitfire, I don't know anything about it, other that it is a MkIXe. I didn't intentionally take any pics of it. Sorry.

These are, as far as I know, still flyable airplanes. Nearly every AC at the Military Aviation Museum is flyable. However, I don't think they get a lot of stick time since being brought in from New Zealand.

As to the Spitfire, I don't know anything about it, other that it is a MkIXe. I didn't intentionally take any pics of it. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. They are excellent shots in any case 8)

Thanks for the info. They are excellent shots in any case 8)

Thanks. I was actually so focused on the Polikarpovs that I didn't even see that blue and yellow glider until I saw it in some of the photos today. I saw the placard right next to the I-16 for the glider and was like "Oh I guess they moved it." I didn't even think to look directly above me, and every time I glanced in its direction my gaze was riveted to the I-16. :oops:

Great Photos! It looks like they are original airframes restored of course, I heard about these aircraft but never knew they were all brought to the US. I think an I-16 was at Camarillo (Eric could shed some light on that) I'm wonder if that was the same one.

The glider is a TG-3 I think.

Great shots Night Witch. Isn't the museum on Princess Anne Road. I use to work at Colonial Chevrolet not far from there. Thanks for posting.:thumbleft::cool:

Yeah, 1341 Princess Anne Road. It's kind of tucked away off the road, but it has a nice paved drive, pretty easy to find once you get out there.

Now that I think about it, I believe I looked at it the other night on Google Earth. Small grass field with several large hangers on sight. Next time I'm out there visiting friends I think I'll go out and have a look if they will let me.:)

Great pictures, Nightwitch! I've seen that I-153 in person, at the Wings Over Houston Airshow several years ago. Amazing - never thought I'd see one in person, much less flying. I also saw a Rata, although it wasn't painted like the one here. That I-15bis is great - I'd love to see that - I didn't know there was one in the U.S. By the way, from where I'm sitting now, I can see an old model of mine, an I-153 done in winter camouflage. I may have to get another one to do in that wonderful green over silver scheme though. I also have a Rata coming in the mail, probably this week, that I'll probably do in a winter scheme also. That'll go with my I-153, my Li-2 and my 3 Shturmoviki all done in various winter schemes. As you may have guessed from this and previous posts, I'm a bit of a GPW fanatic (actually pretty much all Soviet planes from the '20's to the present).

Venganza

Great pictures, Nightwitch! I've seen that I-153 in person, at the Wings Over Houston Airshow several years ago. Amazing - never thought I'd see one in person, much less flying. I also saw a Rata, although it wasn't painted like the one here. That I-15bis is great - I'd love to see that - I didn't know there was one in the U.S. By the way, from where I'm sitting now, I can see an old model of mine, an I-153 done in winter camouflage. I may have to get another one to do in that wonderful green over silver scheme though. I also have a Rata coming in the mail, probably this week, that I'll probably do in a winter scheme also. That'll go with my I-153, my Li-2 and my 3 Shturmoviki all done in various winter schemes. As you may have guessed from this and previous posts, I'm a bit of a GPW fanatic (actually pretty much all Soviet planes from the '20's to the present).

Venganza

Hey, that's fantastic! I tried modeling as a kid but I wasn't patient enough for it really. I might try it again, but I have a feeling I'll just end up gluing my fingers together. Still, I'd love to do a Pe-3bis, maybe as a night fighter, as there's a kit that does that. Plus, the Yak-1b in Lily Litvyak's colors is also a nice choice. I'd love an I-16, maybe Pokryshkin's MiG-3, there's just too many to choose from. Nice to see another big fan of the Soviet stuff.

This museum is running on airshow in May call Warbirds over the Beach. They may (or may not) have the Russian fighters flying for that. They also have a MiG-3 coming in the mail, as I understand it. So I'll definitely drop back by to see their MiG-3.

Thats a great set of shots there !. Love the internal shots.

I've attached a shot of one these querky looking little planes taken here at Flying Legends at Duxford...didn't get any decent flying shots (more's the pity !)... for comparison on markings and general paint.

Attachments

• pol1.jpg
    pol1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 308
Hey, that's fantastic! I tried modeling as a kid but I wasn't patient enough for it really. I might try it again, but I have a feeling I'll just end up gluing my fingers together. Still, I'd love to do a Pe-3bis, maybe as a night fighter, as there's a kit that does that. Plus, the Yak-1b in Lily Litvyak's colors is also a nice choice. I'd love an I-16, maybe Pokryshkin's MiG-3, there's just too many to choose from. Nice to see another big fan of the Soviet stuff.

This museum is running on airshow in May call Warbirds over the Beach. They may (or may not) have the Russian fighters flying for that. They also have a MiG-3 coming in the mail, as I understand it. So I'll definitely drop back by to see their MiG-3.

The Peshka's on my short list of kits to get. Doing Lily Litvyak's Yak-1b - now there's an idea. I like the later Yaks more (I'm doing a Yak-9M now), but I might just have to do that Yak-1b. You mention a MiG-3 - is that original and/or flyable?!

Venganza

Hope you dont mind but I've added a few shots from the CAF Airsho' last year.

This one didn't actually leave the ground during the weekend....real shame !...but to give the ground crew credit, they where working flat out on her in the sun !.

Attachments

• pol6.jpg
    pol6.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 891
  • pol5.jpg
    pol5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 190
  • pol4.jpg
    pol4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 175

Users who are viewing this thread

Back