Polikarpov I-16 type 5 1/48 ?

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by le_steph40, Sep 7, 2016.

1. le_steph40

le_steph40 Well-Known Member

Research and development
    Home Page:
    Hello,
    I would like to build an I-16 type 5 (in Chinese colors) but I noticed that only Hobbycraft/Academy produced this model. I think this model is poor regarding the details on the wings and the cockpit. I know that Airwaves had resin kits to correct but impossible to find.
    I would like to know if the Eduard I-16 type 10 (or the Ark models) are a good start to build a type 5 ? Does the nose armament is the only thing to remove ? I think to buy the Squadron canopy for the type 5...
    TIA, cheers
    Stéph

2. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    I would say ,. not only these nose MGs are thing for removing. Also you have to check on the front engine cowling. The I-15 type 5 didn't have there any airintakes at the top and bottom of the front ring as memo serves. The next difference should be the wing. The I-16 type 10 got these of more reinforced structure ( more ribs and larger wooden covering of the leading edge ) what result in different appearance of the fabric skin. Additionally flaps were added for the type 10. Type 5 didn't have them as memo serves . There was a difference in the span of ailerons. The type 10 had them shotened. However the modification was intorduced for later I-16 type 5 too. More "sins" I don't recall myslef.. :lol:

3. le_steph40

le_steph40 Well-Known Member

Research and development
    Home Page:
    Hello Wojtek,
    Thank you for your help :)
    I thought to buy a Eduard or Ark Model type 10 to retrofit in a type 5 in telling myself: "Nevermind for the wings. It seems that it's a common mistake..."
    Here is the Airwaves resin set (aes48112: I-16 type 5 resin set)
    [​IMG]
    Here is a drawing found on the net
    [​IMG]
    and other infos here: I-16 type 5 with probably the same mistake on the wings.
    Finally, the least worst representation is the Hobbycraft kit... Here is my project
    [​IMG]
    I can't make up my mind...!!! Hobbycraft "poor" model kit or Ark Model/Eduard kits with the "bad" wings...???
    But, anyway, still thank you Mr. Wojtek for your help ;)

4. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    The rasin wing looks great. I would follow that set. To be honest the I-16 wasn't a kite "rich" in details and the model doesn't have to be hi-tech one. Judging by your options I would say the cost of the kit and accessories you are going to use, should be the main reason for buying.