Polikarpov I16 Type 10 Super Moscas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tempest

Airman
Dec 12, 2006
Where are the fired case ejection chutes for the cowling guns or are the fired cases collected and emptied back on the ground.

I presume the wing gun cases are ejected in air.

Thanks

Allan

After looking at a cutaway, I can say that I still have no idea. There is no visible ejection chute or collection bag. My only theory is that they may be ejected back into the ammo box as rounds are fired. The wing casings indeed are ejected externally.
d6dde06a68026d4580ce0658e9fb1e2f.jpg

Thanks for looking. Not many photos of the underside taken from below with the gear raised.

Allan

I haven't found any info on the fuselage MGs and their case ejection ports. However as memo serves , long time ago it was mentioned somewhere that the fired cases were collected in the ammo boxes there. The wing MGs had the case ejection chutes at the underside metal covers. But location of them depended on the kind of armament installed. The ShKAS MGs had them smaller than the ShVAK cannons. In both cases these ejection ports were located asymmetrically. Below a couple of shots I found via the net...

For two ShKAS MGs ...
szkas.jpg

Although the diagram above shows the starboard port located differently than the port one but it seems that the rectangular hole was made parallel to the main gun axis.
szkas_p.jpg

Here for the two ShVAK cannons ...
szwak_pl.jpg

szwak_pl_.jpg

And here with four slats ...
4szkas.jpg

Yes it does. The location of the slots is caused by the 12,7mm UBS heavy MG mounted at the bottom of the fuselage.

This plane was a Type 27 captured by Finns and modified by removing the ShVAK guns and replacing them with machine guns in non standard installation. So, the waste shell slots are not standard, and the barrels protrude from the wings in non standard way.

I've just uploaded some pages on I-16 yesterday, and I'm still working on it. I-16 family
There, you can go to the page on I-16 types here Polikarpov's I-16 types, each type is briefly described and it has its own page linked with newly drawn views. I think that this can be of help.
A general technical description with deep details is still to do.
Regards
Massimo

This plane was a Type 27 captured by Finns and modified by removing the ShVAK guns and replacing them with machine guns in non standard installation. So, the waste shell slots are not standard, and the barrels protrude from the wings in non standard way.

I've just uploaded some pages on I-16 yesterday, and I'm still working on it. I-16 family
There, you can go to the page on I-16 types here Polikarpov's I-16 types, each type is briefly described and it has its own page linked with newly drawn views. I think that this can be of help.
A general technical description with deep details is still to do.
Regards
Massimo

Thanks Massimo,

Very useful and detailed. I am grateful for your efforts.

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back