Polish president killed in plane crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
(CNN) -- Polish President Lech Kaczynski was likely killed early Saturday when the plane he was traveling in with his wife crashed at a western Russian airport, a spokesman for Poland's Foreign Ministry told CNN.

"It's probably that all people on board were killed," said Piotr Paszkowski.

The plane was approaching the airport at Smolensk, Russia, and probably hit some trees at the end of the runway, Paszkowski said.

"It caught fire, the fire has now been extinguished, but the extent of the damage is such that it's unlikely anybody on board survived," he said.

Kaczynski was 60.

Pictures from the scene showed parts of the airplane charred and strewn through a wooded area. Some pieces, including one of the wheel wells, were upside-down.

The crash happened around 10:50 a.m. (2:50 a.m. ET) on the outskirts of the town of Pechorsk in the Smolensk region, the Investigation Committee of the Russian prosecutor's office said in a written statement on its Web site.

The Tupolev-154 was carrying a total of 132 and was landing in heavy fog, the committee said.

The chairman of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe expressed his condolences after the crash.

"I offer my deepest condolences to the Polish people and to the families of those killed in this tragic accident. Our hearts go out to you in this difficult time," said Kanat Saudabayev, who is also the secretary of state and foreign minister of Kazakhstan.

Polish president likely killed in plane crash - CNN.com

I can´t believe it. My condolence goes to all families involved and all the Polish nation.

Last edited:
The purpose of the trip: which was taking the president, his wife and staff to events marking the 70th anniversary of the massacre of thousands of Polish officers by Soviet secret police

Kinda ironic, and very sad. My conoldences. :salute:

Yes Dan they were on the way there.
And thank you Bud... for these kind words.

On behalf of all Pols I would like to thank all of you for condolences.... Thank you Mates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back