Posting privileges

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
Seems to have been quite a few members beached recently for posting stupid,rude, inflammatary rubbish you name it. I wonder if it would be possible rather than ban temporarily or permanently to simply prevent a member on a warning posting immediately and instead have to have there posts reviewed by a mod before it is visible to the normal members.

The problem is that we can't simply review every post made on this forum. We have jobs, families and lives outside of the forum.

People should just act like adults and be civil.

Well I'm guessing the Mod gang first send a warning to the member, then second perhaps a short posting holiday, followed by a permanent ban.

This is what we did (as part of another Mod crew, it's pretty common)
This particular forum is pretty low tolerance of rude aggressive posters, people learn quickly to be civil or else the Mods hit the "eject" button.
Other forums with more relaxed discipline can have a constant drama of flame wars, trolling, complaints to the Mods and such. :shock:
Who needs it?

Even then, if they message the Mods at some later time and apologise, they might get a reprive.
Then again, I't been my experience that when you send a warning or temp ban most of the trolls reply with a "F**k you c**t" or some other similar brilliant reply. :rolleyes:

There are some people who have online trollish tendancies, or are socially challenged teenagers or maybe they're just twats.

I guess bottom line is, if you can't hold a civil debate and play nice in the sandbox then you won't last long, and no amount of warnings will get you to change your posting style.

Last edited:
It is a shame that there isn't more intellegence used on the Internet.
I, too, have been struck by just how many people seem to self-destruct shortly after joining.
Sometimes it seems like a child-care situation, and I totally understand how you guys ban someone when they start to get silly, instead of letting them go on for weeks.

Isn't it always the simplest rules that are the hardest. Didn't some guy, name slips my memory, once say "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

Add a "Dislike" or maybe "Rude" option button -- and let the members speak for the Mods - nothing is final till the Mods "speak" of course but it's amazing how emerges concenus in quick time -- often not for the best, of course, cause it gets personnel .. :) ... but nonetheless we members do react.

MM

Revolutionary Canadian

Well I'm guessing the Mod gang first send a warning to the member, then second perhaps a short posting holiday, followed by a permanent ban.

This is what we did (as part of another Mod crew, it's pretty common)
This particular forum is pretty low tolerance of rude aggressive posters, people learn quickly to be civil or else the Mods hit the "eject" button.
Other forums with more relaxed discipline can have a constant drama of flame wars, trolling, complaints to the Mods and such. :shock:
Who needs it?

Even then, if they message the Mods at some later time and apologise, they might get a reprive.
Then again, I't been my experience that when you send a warning or temp ban most of the trolls reply with a "F**k you c**t" or some other similar brilliant reply. :rolleyes:

There are some people who have online trollish tendancies, or are socially challenged teenagers or maybe they're just twats.

I guess bottom line is, if you can't hold a civil debate and play nice in the sandbox then you won't last long, and no amount of warnings will get you to change your posting style.

90% of the time it is the same people with the childish behavior. They have been warned on multiple occasions before they are banned. Normally they get a 30 day ban. Then if their behavior does not change, they get a permanent ban.

Like I said, the majority of offenders are the same ones over and over. I bet that some time this week the usual suspects will do it again. They ignore our warnings. Some seem to think they are protected.

Yep Andy, I think what we got works pretty well

Early on, I got a warning. Didn't act stupid, nor did I make a derogatory remark, just used a silly term.
Got a stern warning from a mod, it was gently done, adultish! I appreciated that.
I now have a couple of posts under my belt, and hold no animosity because of that warning.
The mods do a good job in here. Will give every chance for someone to "come around" and act like an adult.
Then throw down the hammer when it's needed.

Bill

Like I said, the majority of offenders are the same ones over and over. I bet that some time this week the usual suspects will do it again. They ignore our warnings. Some seem to think they are protected.

Ha! Deja vu all over again...

As Mod I spent 98% of my time cleaning up dealing with stupid s**t from the same 2% of posters...

Agree with Chris' (Adler's ) first post.

You would need to have mods working shifts to be able to continuously monitor all the posts, and more than one in the evenings when multiple users are on. Even then there would be pile ups (how often have we clashed posts?)
Just not practical or realistic on a free forum IMO, unless you're gonna make it a job and pay someone to do it.

Haven't always agreed with mods decisions, but overall you guys do a damn fine job keeping things running as you do. Thanks, and my hat off to yas for all your time and effort.

The problem is that we can't simply review every post made on this forum. We have jobs, families and lives outside of the forum.

People should just act like adults and be civil.

Agree with you Adler but I was thinking more of when someone has been given a warning by a mod, then there posting priviledges are constrained. A time delay of several hours on a post might let the temperature and blood pressure go down a bit. I know there are plenty of idiots who should have been hit with the banhammer at birth.

It does amaze me when some people just cant step back for a minute. I fully admit to losing my temper with someone on the general forum a month or two back and luckily I deleted a post before I sent it but I could so easily have pressed enter and probably got a cooling off period for my sins.

I really like this forum because 99% of the time people are sensible and the mods do a generally good job and I think its noticeable that there is very little nationalistic crap allowed to contaminate things unlike some of the other forums which I wont name for fear of giving them free publicity.

I really like this forum because 99% of the time people are sensible and the mods do a generally good job and I think its noticeable that there is very little nationalistic crap allowed to contaminate things unlike some of the other forums which I wont name for fear of giving them free publicity.

Had to rub my eyes for that one cause we've been accused of being very nationalistic. I'm glad that the members see otherwise! :)

Had to rub my eyes for that one cause we've been accused of being very nationalistic. I'm glad that the members see otherwise! :)

It maybe seems that way because it seems the most active Mods are all American (Since Adler in now also in the US :) )
There were a few long time prolific posters from Germany, or central Europe etc that are now gone.
It's unfortunate as they had some good contributions, but there was a frequent problem of aggressive or rude postings and threads that devolved into flaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back