Potez 631 Night Fighter of Vichy ECN 1/13

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
User name: VikingBerserker
Name: David
Category: 2, Intermediate
Kit: Azur
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: Some scratch building

I'll be building the one pictered on the box art. The kit comes with PE Resin parts

boxart.jpg

The French Potez 631 night-fighter corresponded in many respects to the RAF's Bristol Blenheim, being very similar in size and performance (though somewhat lighter) as well as being conceived as a variation of a light bomber. The French aircraft was one of a family of design variations of the Potez 63 which had originated in a requirement issued in 1934 for a two/ three-seat 'multi-purpose' aircraft. Although a night-fighter prototype had flown in March 1937 as the Potez 631-0, French re-equipment policies were blurred by lack of purpose (being confused by the likely form of warfare being studied by Germany), with the result that orders for development aircraft included four-general purpose two/three-seat day/night fighters, three two-seat night-fighters, one light bomber, one reconnaissance aircraft and one close-support aircraft. Relatively little importance was placed on the Potez 631 night-fighter, and it was not until June 1938 that production orders totalling 207 were confirmed.

By 1 April 1939 the Armee de l'Air had taken delivery of 88 aircraft, of which 20 were in service; in May two night-fighter units, Groupes de Chasse de Nuit GCN III/l and II/4, and one day fighter unit, GC II/8, were equipped with about 30 aircraft; four other Potez 631s were serving at Djibouti. At the outbreak of war a total of 206 aircraft had been delivered, and the type had also joined GCN 1/13 and GCN 11/13, as well as seven escadres de chasse. Some aircraft were later transferred to the Aeronavale. When the German attack opened in the West the various Potez 631 units were in constant action both by day and night, although lack of radar prevented much success during the hours of darkness. In the first 11 days of the campaign Aeronavale's Flotille F 1C shot down 12 German aircraft for the loss of eight, but the Armee de l'Air night-fighter units were ordered to assume day ground-attack duties, losing heavily to enemy flak. Moreover, losses were exceptionally heavy to Allied guns and fighters as a result of the Potez 631's superficial similarity to the German Messerschmitt Bf 110; it has been estimated that as many as 30 of the French aircraft were shot down in error. In all, Potez 631 night-fighters destroyed a total of 29 German aircraft in the Battle of France, but for a loss of 93 of their own number. Of the remainder about 110 were in the Free French Zone (Vichy France) at the time of the armistice, but their number dwindled quickly because of a chronic lack of spares, although ECN 3/13 moved to Tunisia with a small number of Potez 631s in June 1941. from Potez 630/631 - fighter, fighter-bomber

Last edited:
Nice to see you once again putting some of the more unique choices into this build David. This looks like an interesting build and a pretty nifty colour scheme to boot!

I'm surprised you haven't tried the Italian night fighter... The Fiat CR 42 CN. :) I've just about finished the one I have.

Another nice one David, and should be an impressive model in 1/48th scale.
Only the French would paint a night fighter in high visibility colours - "Oh He Ha, we are French, we want to be seen doing zee stuff yew noa !!!

Interesting choice indeed. I like watching unusual builds, and thanks for posting some history as well.

After a couple of days researching, apparently dark blue was the standard cockpit interior color for the early French aircraft.

Using Polly Scale 505023 (RLM 24 Dark Blue) mixed with 10% white the color was pretty close. I then applied this color with my double action airbrush - which having used only a single action was interesting to say the least. I felt like I was trying to paint in 3 dimensions so I REALLY need to practice more. It's shiny as it's not finished drying.

My wife was no where being impressed but I was pretty darn happy and more importantly the curtains were safe!

Attachments

• Po 631 cockpit floor.JPG
    Po 631 cockpit floor.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Po 631 cockpit sides.JPG
    Po 631 cockpit sides.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 216
Worked on the cockpit over the weekend and spent most of the time working on the seats.

I tried to mimic used leather seats, I painted the base coat of brown, added some black grim to some of the brown and dry brushed over the areas that would have high usage and thus stained with sweat and dirt. Then took a few drops of white to the brown and dry brushed it on the areas bent over the seat frame. I was pretty happy with the outcome. Just waiting on the seat belts to dry.

Attachments

• seats.JPG
    seats.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Potez cockpit.JPG
    Potez cockpit.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 324

Users who are viewing this thread

Back