Powerplant identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
The Web quiz site states you can use any source!

What is this engine and what aircraft does it belong to?

Not sure what it is but it looks like the picture is upside down. Looks better this way

Attachments

• getimage9ada17wc4.jpg
    getimage9ada17wc4.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 388
Interesting...Three exhaust stacks. Does that necessarily mean 6-cyl? What's the purpose of the little winglet? Answer 'reveals' itself at midnight (AEST) Monday.

Revealed last night as a MiG-3...(?)...(original photo was the correct orientation Micdrow, but thanks for trying).

Need your help, again. Please.
Same scenario.

This Japanese aircraft 'can' be identified (according to the site). I don't know if this is an engine identification plate or one that identifies the aircraft. I can see a '99' which could be Type 99. If so, could be a Ki-48 or Ki-55?

Don't quote me on this but I believe this is a fuselage data stencil. This goes way back to when I studied Japanese aircraft in detail.

I believe that 3114 is the serial number. From the look of the numbers shape and spacing I believe this was built at a Nakajima Plant. All there stencil numbers where around 30mm in height. The Mitsubishi stencils have a different cut out pattern for some of the numbers.

The third line I believe is for the date which I believe is December 5th, 1940.

I will try and dig out and dust off some of my info on Japanese aircraft and see if I can find any more info.

Need your help, again. Please.
Same scenario.
This Japanese aircraft 'can' be identified (according to the site). I don't know if this is an engine identification plate or one that identifies the aircraft. I can see a '99' which could be Type 99. If so, could be a Ki-48 or Ki-55?

My wife is Japanese. When she gets home from work I'll ask her to translate.

Micdrow, the answer was revealed as the Aichi D3A Val (Type 99).

If you're still interested, this is their next one. This must be 'closer to home'. I was thinking B-17, B-24?

Well, let's see - 2 row wngine, so the R1820's out.
No rocker boxes on the heads, so sleeve valves.
So - not American.
Exhaust leads forward to a collector ring that's the cowl nose - Bristol Hercules.
Top of nacelle even with leading edge of wing -
My bet;s that it's a Lancaster Mk II.

--
Pete Stickney

I dont believe there are any surviving Lancaster B.IIs.

The only surviving Lancasters are:

Lancaster B I R5868 "S-Sugar"

PA474 of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

FM213 of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum

Lancaster B I W4783 "G-George"

Lancaster Mk 10AR KB839

Lancaster B VII NX611 "Just Jane"

Lancaster B VII NX622

Lancaster B VII NX664

Lancaster B VII NX665

Lancaster B X FM104

Lancaster B X FM159