Pre-Shading

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've noticed that some pre-shade panel lines when doing paint. I don't fully understand the concept except if the final coat will be thinned and allow the darker color to highlight the lines. Can someone explain the pros and cons of PS and how to do it, etc., etc.,?

It really can look good on lighter camo, such as the FAA Dark Sea Gray/Dark Slate Gray/Sky, as all of those colours are light enough for the preshading to show through. On something like a n overall Dark See Blue plane I don't think it would be worth it. And you basically need an airbrush to be able to do it, it's the only way to get the paint on thin enough.

I know many modellers use this method, and it's become something of a 'fad', but personally, I haven't seen any great benefit, even with light coloured finishes. I much prefer to give the model a proper 'top coat' then, if required, 'post shade', either by painting the edges of individual panels, or by lining in pencil and or the use of pastels or similar.
Each to their own of course, but pre-shading, I think, can be overdone sometimes, and ineffective at other times.

I agree with Terry, its overdone and not realistic at all. On my stuka I didnt preshade and someone suggested I do, I said "no" the real plane has these 2 colors and im not having random lines under my camo. Now an example of an ugly overdone pre-shade would be the Stuka which I built but this has a preshade. Really looks offset to me, but thats my view on it.

Attachments

• 307150.jpg
    307150.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,136
Good looking model, Mag but I agree, it looks alittle off. I just wanted opinions on this. It seems Terry and I could be brothers with our opinion on pre-shading, PE, hand-brush.....:)

The main benefit of pre-shading is that you cannot use more tonalities of the same colour.Of course it has to be rememberead that the kind of light primer is needed as well and then a proper spraying on panels.If the effect is quite poor it is not a fault of the method but a modeller.In the same way we can sc**w up post-shading as well.

I pre-shaded that M41 with Tamiya Hull Red on the edges of panels and it was quite effective, most of the planes I've tried it on, the pre-shading has disappeared with the top coats on. The only one I had any success with preshading was a Mitsubishi T-2. I think because it was painted all over light grey.

IMO pre-shading is a waste of time (although it does make you look like you know what your doing)

I've yet to see a model with pre-shading that actually looks better than one without it (maybe I'm too stupid to see it)

Preshading is fine when you have a one colour finish, under or top surface. My problem is when you have two tone upper surface. The second colour all but covers up any preshading. Still do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back