Preserving Web Information Locally

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a bookmark only to find that the page is no longer there, or while the page was there perhaps the pictures attached to it or linked to it are now missing or broken links. Its frustrating as I am sure you all can share.

In order to prevent this or at least minimize it, over the years I have come across 3 methods that seem to work well.

Most modern browsers, Chrome, Safari, etc, allow you to save an entire page as a PDF file. Even if they do not directly support that function there are dozens of printer drivers that support "printing" a web page directly to a PDF file.

So that is method one. And it works, but can be hard to search if you are not careful with your naming conventions of your files.

Method 2 and 3 differ only with the product used. Evernote and OneNote. I used to use Evernote and its web clipper browser extensions to clip entire pages into Evernote notebooks but that has gotten more and more expensive over the years. Their premium account is necessary for large amounts of data.

Its pluses are that your files are automatically backed up into the "cloud" as well as having local copies.

OneNote, by Microsoft, is a part of Microsoft Office but can also be obtained free as a standalone. It also has a web clipper extension for most browsers and works pretty much the same way as Evernote. Like Evernote it also has applications for iPhones as well as Android based phones. Also free!

If you acquire a free Microsoft email account you can get up to one terabyte of free online storage through their application called OneDrive. OneNote happily saves files (notebooks) either locally or in the cloud via OneDrive and syncs these files.

OneNote and Evernote are fully searchable applications and your notes preserve working hyperlinks that were contained in the original web page. All the images are copied as well, and the page in your Notebook looks exactly like the web page it came from for the most part.

Probably preaching to the choir here and not saying anything new, but if this helps at least one person I will consider it a good investment of my time!

As an example to the above, recently someone shared a link to fixing the K-4 Belly of a 109. Since I plan on building one someday I clipped the page to OneNote. OneNote lets me create shareable links to the contents of my Notebooks if I choose, so I made one to illustrate.

The link to my version of this article is: Model Reference

Nice. But wouldn't be easier to use a notepad and save the link to a such site? Then you may copy it and paste to opened bookmark as the URL address. Why make a life more difficult ???? :lol:

link.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. But wouldn't be easier to use a notepad and save the link to a such site? Then you may copy it and paste to opened bookmark as the URL address. Why make a life more difficult ???? :lol:

View attachment 363933
Because the need I am addressing is for when the web page has been removed. My method preserves the content so that even if the web page goes away you will still have it intact for as long as you want. We often have lots of information bookmarked like you spoke of, but I would be willing to bet a kit that if you go through your bookmarks right now, you will find links that no longer work.

This method preserves the content of interest, not the entire site. So that now it is stored locally but also backed up into the cloud so even if you computer fails you will be able to recover your information.

Hope that helps.

If all else fails, try entering the dead URL into the Internet Archive's search engine.

The Internet Archive has been an ongoing project that has been doing several archival projects, one of which, is archiving all websites that have existed since the beginning of the internet.

Check them out: Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
I have actually used that, but often even if the page is there the image or pictures are not. Thats why I like to preserve interesting pages for myself. I know they will always be there.

Gotcha - there's been several instances where I have saved a page (or pages) using the "Save Page As" feature both in Internet Explorer and FireFox.

I have a dedicated folder on my D:/ drive just far saved webpages that reaches back a long ways

I use curl for that. Wrote a script to download a page with all it's media to a directory. Then I index the text content in whoosh, a fulltext search algorithm and turn the page into PDF. I can search for the right PDF in whoosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back