Probably the 3 most successful Soviet fighter regiments of the Great Patriotic War (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Juha3

Senior Airman
Jun 20, 2019
Some time ago I replied to FlyboyJ in a thread, probably the Groundhog Thread, listing the 3 Soviet fighter regiments with most kills. A short time ago I came across a better source than my earlier sources, namely Полки и самолеты СССР в ВОВ 1941-1945 and noticed that the numbers I had given included ground kills. So here is the kills of the fighter regiments which were earlier mentioned as the most successful ones. I have no intention to go through all the GIAPs and IAPs to check, if there are some with more air kills than 402 IAP or 16 GIAP, just checked six other fighter regiments, which I knew were very successful but three of them operated mostly here at the northern part of the Eastern Front, so it is possible that there are regiment(s) serving further south which might have been more successful than 402 IAP or 16 GIAP . So the new figures:

5 GIAP (ex-129 IAP)
In air battles, 657 enemy aircraft and 1 balloon were shot down, 82 aircraft were destroyed at airfields, altogether 739.

402 IAP
The number of destroyed enemy aircraft - 591 in air battles and 219 at airfields, altogether 810

16 GIAP
In air battles, 587 enemy aircraft were destroyed, at airfields, 31. Total 618

Probably, the best source so far:
Mikhail Bykov has done a lot of research since the 1990s.

The iconic Soviet movie based on the story of 5 GIAP(129 IAP):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back