Programmes Worth a watch

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't let other folk miss out on watching a good programme ( or film) about Warplanes or War related topics.

If you know of a programme, series or documentory etc, coming up, which might be worth a watch...... post it below.
Don't forget to state the (country) channel, date and time.

Similarly share information on good DVDs worth renting or buying.

( feel free to also list a good Warbird book or a site worth a scan).

DVDs worth renting or buying, WWII theme:

Battle of Britain
Memphis Belle (1940s documentary by William Wyler) 45 minutes long, great footage!
Tora! Tora! Tora! (WAY better than that crap Pearl Harbor film a couple of years ago)
The Great Escape, Collectors edition.
12 O'Clock High (A must have!)
Command Decision
Memphis Belle (1990's movie, riddled with historical inaccuracy, but the flying scenes and story are pretty well done)
Saving Private Ryan (Tough to watch some of those scenes, but a great movie)
Band of Brothers (This was a mini-series on HBO. If you haven't seen it, go get it! It's a 12 part series that takes you from pre D-Day to VE day. Story based on Stephen Ambrose's book, produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. It's gut wrenching, gritty and not for the faint of heart, but it is incredible)

I am sure there are a ton of others. I will have to look through my collection again and see what I missed of what I have.

'Das Boot' the original uncut edition, in German (subtitles for unilingual folks, such as myself). :thumbright:

'A Bridge Too Far' is another good one, IMO.

I have Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan on DVD. Battle of Britain, the Longest Day and Memphis Belle on VHS.

Das Boot and Bridge too Far are awesome as well. I have the longest day on VHS, although I rarely watch tapes anymore. That's a great one also. I haven't actually seen Dambusters yet, but did plan on seeing it.

Here are a few more I just though of:
Stalag 17 (Good Humor in a serious setting)
Kelly's Heroes (Who could forget Donald Southerland as Oddball)
Hart's War (Not what I expected, but still a good movie)
Schindler's List (Tough to watch, but still a great movie)
Tuskegee Airmen (Great flying scenes, history pretty accurate)
Catch 22 (I have seen 2 of the B-25s used in that movie)

Das Boot was/is great....... They have an extended scene DVD out for that now.....

Anything with Clint Eastwood in it is a great movie..... The just had all 4 Speghetti Westerns on in a row yesterday...... God I love that Sergio Leone...... High Plains Drifter, Fistfull of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good Bad and Ugly......

Bridge At Remagen (US, 1967)
BRIDGE_AT_REMAGEN_DVD_HIRES.jpg

Sky Raiders (CZ, 1968)
514.jpg

BarkBlue World (CZ, 2000)
dark_blue_world.jpg

for anyone who can get channel 5 over here in britian, the battle of the bulge is on, it start at 15:20 and will go on until 18:00, if you're reading this to late, you missed it :)

hmmm, i have das boot (directors cut) 2, ist an awesome movie, if u play it with a surround set, and u put the vollume quite loud ^^ then u can hear every crack of metal, and u really got the feeling ure on that boat.

an other good war movie is "we were soldiers" (just to bad its vietnam >.<)
and another very good one is enemy at the gate(s) (im not thure if its gate or gates >.<) anyway, this movie is about a sniper in the ussr ^.^

and the last good one i know is called, the thin red line (and now i really hope i didnt make any vaults in this title, cuz the movie is good ^^) its about the fight for imo jiwa (as far as i remember :/)

I haven't seen The Thin Red Line. Enemy at the Gates is another great one. I would recommend that one as well. It is loosely based on the story of Vasily Zaitsev, the sniper you mentioned above. How good Vasily was is open to interpretation, as you can even see in the movie he becomes a propaganda tool. Still an incredible movie and the visual effects are stunning.

Battle of the Bulge is CRAP! Complete dog wank.

Thin Red Line is good. Enemy at the gates is good, although the Stukas diving down on the Soviet Volga crossing look shite. The majority film is good, I have that on VHS too.

I'm assuming you calling Pearl Harbour a good movie was sarcasm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back