Propeller blade to identify (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kurtl

Airman 1st Class
Aug 14, 2006
Can anyone identify this prop blade? It's size is about 170 cm, but it's bendet a little. There is something like a weight balancer on the bottom. I don't know what this is either. Any help is apprechiated. Regards - Kurtl

Attachments

• P3284444 - Kopie.JPG
    P3284444 - Kopie.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 244
  • P3284450 - Kopie.JPG
    P3284450 - Kopie.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 953
  • P3284453 - Kopie.JPG
    P3284453 - Kopie.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 279
Shape looked familiar, was thinking VDM from either 109G or Fw 190, so checked the net:

VDM 9-12153 A, 3.3 m circumference; one of 3 props authorised by BMW for Fw 190A/F/G series aircraft. Same prop as VDM 9-12067 A, difference being the external weights.

Certainly looks like a late '109 blade, but not sure about those flanges, weights or whatever. Balance weights were normally disc-like, but of course there are/were variations.

Good info Sander. Yes, the weights are for balancing the prop blade, and can be seen clearly on some props which don't have a spinner covering the hub. They are often in the form of a disc, rather like an ice-hockey puk, and are known as 'bob weights'.

Thanks Gentlemen for your interest. So those "weights" were used as counterweights if one prop blade has less weight than the other two, right?
I wonder if there is any manual about VDM that shows all different types of prop blades. What's the difference between VDM 9-12153 A and VDM 9-12067 A?

Just a guess, but I would think the weights would also put the prop in low pitch should the prop fail in flight.

Thanks Gentlemen for your interest. So those "weights" were used as counterweights if one prop blade has less weight than the other two, right?
I wonder if there is any manual about VDM that shows all different types of prop blades. What's the difference between VDM 9-12153 A and VDM 9-12067 A?

According to that net info I posted, the weights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back