propeller question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lexy

Recruit
Nov 8, 2011
Hi guys,

i have registred myself to ask you experts a question.

a friend of mine bought a propeller that was found in the sea near Calais many years ago.

Can anybody identifie this propeller based on these pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Alex

Attachments

• sized_IMG_3643.JPG
    sized_IMG_3643.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 401
  • sized_IMG_3644.JPG
    sized_IMG_3644.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 390
Can you get photos of the hub area, font and back? Also any numbers and stamps would be helpful. The prop was not spinning when it crashed.

Okey, i see what i can do.

There will probably be no more stamps visible due to the time it has spend in the sea. It was fished up by a French fisherman in the 50's and then it was displayed in his garden for a long time.

We did find a bullet hole in one of the propellers.

Ill try to get more pics quicly.

Thanks.

Thanks for the video, very helpfull indeed, im working on those detailed pics for you guys.

thanks

Yep, first glance it looks German to me, like a Bf 109E or Bf 110C/D prop. Looking forward to your details on her.

Yep, cetainly looks like the profile of a '109 prop, either 'E' or early 'F'. From what's shown so far, I'd guess at a Bf109F, with the central bore for the cannon.

Very brave chaps! I do think that it is German,given the limited information in the piccies,so you could be correct.
Cheers
Steve

If it is a '109 prop, then it's almost certainly from VDM. The perforated 'tube' in the hub is consistent with a cannon installation. Here is a pic of an engine from a Bf109G, recovered recently, after the air battle over the White Carpathian (Czech Republic), which took place in August 1944.Where the actual cannon barrel is bent from impact, it 'slotted' through the tubular guide in the prop hub, not present on the '109E, and the '109F had a similar guide tube.
Be interesting to know which aircraft it came from - being recovered near Calais, a pure guess would be a kite from possibly JG26 ?

Attachments

• Czech 349.jpg
    Czech 349.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 245
Hi Lexy,

If I were you, I would get a really good picture of the blade at the root. That flare suggests to me that it isn't a 109E. The other thing to check is to run a tape measure from the center of the hub to the tip of the most intact blade while following the bends and see if you can measure the diameter. The 109E and 109F used different diameter props.

- Ivan.

Hello all,

first of all, thanks for the help so far.

Today we managed to put an axle true the prop an mount it on the wall.

It realy looks great and will be the centrepiece of the collection when it will all be finished.

We measured the most intact blade from the beginning and the length is about 155 centimetres.

I also took lots of new pics and these may help to identifie it.

There is one picture with the bullethole.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Alex
sized_IMG_3773.JPG
sized_IMG_3749.JPG
sized_IMG_3751.JPG
sized_IMG_3755.JPG
sized_IMG_3756.JPG
sized_IMG_3757.JPG
sized_IMG_3763.JPG
sized_IMG_3764.JPG
sized_IMG_3771.JPG
sized_IMG_3772.JPG

I'm not an expert at all, but this photo

Bf 109 G100001.jpg

taken from this book

BF 109 Illustr Study.jpg

seems to confirm it's Bf 109 propeller, but there is an issue on dimensions.
Both VDM 9-12087 and VDM 9-12159 are stated to have a diameter of 300 cm and, if just a blade is 155 cm long, something doesn't work.
Hope someone will be able to give you a better answer.
Alberto

Hello, sorry for my bad english, today,lexy and I, w're working and whe fit the prop to a wall, the beginning of my personal museum;(a lot of items are waiting to put them at the big room and because the prop. is a big thing, that's the firtst item that must into the museum before I fix the walls.
Later shall you see the finally sight.
Thanks Lexy for your help.
This evening I blow all the dirty away from the prop., I din't find stamps.
I hope that the prop is from a German fighting plane of WWII, and I thank al of you guy's for your help too exterminate this prop.

Hi Guys,

I hope I'm not too late, but these might help. I do agree that it is a German VDM prop; it would fit this engine, anyway:

Hess DB601 s.jpg

DB 603 from a Bf 110 (Rudolf Hess'. Shhhh...)

BBB, Sorry I stole your picture:

German ac prop.JPG

The prop hub matches the engine mating face. When I saw the close up of the hub I knew I recognised it from somewhere.

Mate, after seeing your new pics I'm sure it is a VDM - the propeller boss is a dead ringer for one I photographed at the Deutsches Museum (from a Heinkel He 111).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back