Propellor blade found (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tanq

Airman
Aug 6, 2015
11836693_951370178219618_4825914459047190256_n.jpg

Hi,

A friend of my found a propellor blade in the Netherlands. I did some searching and the text on it is Czech. I did some more research and it looks like its coming from AVIA propellor (V20). I also searched what planes crashed there in WW2, A Vickers Wellington MK X crashed around there but also a Junkers Ju-87 Stuka. The colors what is not very clear on the picture is Green on one side and black on the other side, the tip is yellow. This matches the wellington, only according to google the blades on a wellington are from a diffirent manufacturer (Rotal? ). So i was wondering maybe you guys can clear this up for me. I'm not an expert but i like to google lol.

I don't think the prop comes from a Wellington MK X or Ju-87. It seems to be too small and of quite modern shape. The Wellington prop blade should be black with yellow tip. Also I don't think there can be Czech inscriptions on it. As far as a Ju-87 prop blade is concerned... later models of the plane had wooden prop blades of different shape as memo serves. German prop blades were without yellow or white painted tips.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. the language on it should be czech i think. i added some clearer pictures, its in the back of a car looks quitte big to me. You can also see the colors better now. The other side of the blade is black and the letters where also yellow but that faded. I also got a response from Avia propellor and there also looking into it. on the root of the blade there is somekind of serial number but its rusted so i need to clean it.

prop2.jpg

prop1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the inscription is in Czech language. It says ... V20 - serie 02, minimal angle ( pitch) - 19°, at rest - maximal setting.

Avia propellor from Czech also mailed me back that it might be from a Yak 11.

Its slightly bended so not accurate. In this state it is 133 cm maybe straight around 140 cm. Also added some more pictures, with i think is the production date " 20-02-0045" and on the bottom a serial number i think, this is what AVIA asked for, but its really rusty so cant see all numbers.
IMG-20150806-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150806-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150806-WA0003.jpg

AVIA just replied back. The number stands for Blade set 222 blade number 96 .Everyone else is on holiday and i will hear more next week, thats when they can check there archives.

on a extra note, 5 years ago they found a 12 cilinder star engine there ?? sadly i dont have more info on that, since they gave it away to a museum, but maybe the two are linked.

Avia propellor from Czech also mailed me back that it might be from a Yak 11.

It is very likely. The Yak-11 was of the WiSZ-111-W-20 of a diameter about 2,9-3m. Because the licence for assembling of Yak-11 was given to Czechoslovakia in 50', the Avia factory started to make the props marked with V-20 name. It is the same basically because "V" in Czech is the "W" in Polish. I have found via the net a couple of pictures showing the prop. As a result I would say that's the prop. Having a look at a couple of other images of Yak-11 I noted the prop blades could be either black with yellow tips or of a lighter colour that might have been a green with yellow tips . The incriptions could be of black or a light colour depending on the prop blade colour. There is seen the characteristic trimming at the bottom of the prop blade what can be noticed in the third picture too.

yak11 prop_1.jpg

yak11 prop_2.jpg

yak11 prop_3.jpg

yak11 prop_3a.jpg

yak11 prop_4a.jpg

yak11 prop_4.jpg

Wow great find ! the inscription indeed looks the same. Now i have to find out what happenend with it. I will let you know when i get a reply from AVIA.

on a extra note, 5 years ago they found a 12 cilinder star engine there ?? sadly i dont have more info on that, since they gave it away to a museum, but maybe the two are linked.

Are you sure it was the 12 cilinder star engine but not a 7 cilinder radial one? Also the number " 20-02-0045" doesn't seem to be the production date. The licenced WiSZ-111-W-20 props with the ASz-21 radial engines weren't made by the Avia factory until the begining of 50'.

Hello, no i'm not sure of that . Its to bad the owner of the ground gave it away without asking for more info. Lets hope AVIA can tell us more.

I don't think Avia can have much info on that. Anyway could you tell me where you found the aircraft parts? Just in general. I'm wondering where it came from and why crashed there.

Hello,

I got a response from avia:

"I have been lying in our historical documents for a few hours, and unfortunately – we have no information to this concrete blade.
We found ca 200 logbooks of V20 props!
Some of the V20 props were sent to former AVIA Letnany for overhaul (usually after crash), but most of them were produced there as new. Going through those logbooks – the lowest blade set number I found is 725. It was produced in year 1956! Went back to Avia for overhaul in year 1960 – and it says it was installed on a YAK11. Prop after crash – so the blade set has been changed. I also found information about the last user – Svazarm – Brno Slatina. So this is just for an example – if it helps.
The highest blade set number might be: 1312 (year of production: 1959).

"Your blade" is elder than that – blade set number 222. I assume it could be produced between years 1953 – 1956… Who knows where these logbooks are – in museums? I have no clue.

I was very curious to find out - even though I am not a historian and it is not in my job descriptionJ

This is all I can do for you."

I guess this is where its end, to bad i cant find more info about it.

Hi,

As I toldy you.. not too much of info via the Avia. So I would try to find out if there was a crash or forced landing of the kind of plane there. It might have been an plane from former DDR. Perhaps one of the runaways from the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back