Proposal - UK WW2aircraft.net annual meet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hello all.

I have spoken with Terry (airframes) over the last couple of days about the possibility of setting up an annual meet at a mutually agreed destination each year.

Now this could be an airshow or a museum, with maybe an overnight binge on bacon and T-Stoff or C-Stoff (Stoff or Scoff, I got confused) or both or none.

So the purpose of this post is just to gauge interest.
The more people the merrier.

The destination I guess can be agreed via a poll and of course taking geography and accessibility into consideration.

I don't mind co-ordinating this.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Hi Evan.

Firstly I need to reply to your email, sorry. Excellent artwork!

You never know.
If it happens then Hopefully there will be plenty of chances over the years, to come and meet up at a get together.

Cheers Chris

There's a general thread going Dave, but intended more for members on the North American Continent.
I attempted to organise something similar about three years ago and, having conferred with Chris, think it's a great idea to arrange something.
There are many possible venues in the UK, with Duxford being an obvious choice, although an air show day might be a busy time to choose, both in terms of actually meeting up, and for finding suitable accommodation. But, as a museum 'group visit', either at DX, or one of the many great aviation museums around the country, with an overnight stay for 'social purposes' (cough!), given the dates,costs etc are agreed and set well in advance, I see no reason why this can't happen.
Karl (Rochie) and I have 'done' a number of museum and air shows over the last couple or more years, including a trip to the Czech Republic to meet up with Roman, and we've met-up with other members from the UK and abroad too.
I'm planning another trip to CZ next August, and hoping to get to the September DX air show on the way back, so, given dates are suitable, and the cost of the CZ trip doesn't break the bank (!), I'm game.
Depending on the chosen venue, it might be possible to have a sort of 'behind the scenes' or 'personal' visit, as some of the places Karl and I have visited are very helpful, and have opened up aircraft so that we could have a look inside, although if it was DX or one of the RAF Museums, then this practice would be restricted to some extent.
And Chris, as I'm 'retired', I have the time to help organise and coordinate things, especially the drudge of 'phoning around to get the best hotel deals and so on.
So, come on, UK members - and those from 'overseas' too, if you fancy it - let's have your thoughts!

Right, Terry, I knew there was talk of Dayton and such, but I thought there had been talk of Duxford in there as well...

I haven't been following those threads much lately because I don't seem to be going anywhere right now and my plans to Europe this last summer (2013) got...um, re-arranged! :lol:

No problem dave. let's hope your recovery from the... er... re-arrangement of plans, continues apace, and you're able to get over to the proper side of the Pond soon !

I could be up for joining in for a meet dependent on location. I'd be more up for a museum/ airshow meet rather than an overnight option, but that's down to having a young family and 'nights away' tend to be at a premium!

No problem. Given that a suitable venue and date(s) can be arranged, it should be flexible enough to allow a 'one day' event, with the option of staying overnight for those who wish to.
Of course, with Gary and Tony on board, this means I'll have to really save the pennies - the bar bill could (read WILL) get expensive!!
That said, Gary owes us all at least two or three pints, just for being the lucky bar steward who gets to fly, not just fly in, a B-24 and P-51 !!

That said, Gary owes us all at least two or three pints, just for being the lucky bar steward who gets to fly, not just fly in, a B-24 and P-51 !!
Yes, that's right! That's worth at least two full rounds!

But don't think for a moment that will let Jan off the hook...

Just a side note: when I do get back over there, I'll be stopping by the military museums in Sofia and Plovdiv (at the old Luftwaffe base) and a side trip down to see the old buried Panzers that the Bulgarian Army has been recovering to protect them from looters. I can see I'm going to need quite a few more memory cards for the cameras! :thumbleft:

Last edited:
The possibility of another visit to England is beginning to emerge in my mind. Since visiting Duxford with Gary and Tony in 2010, I've been meaning to come back some day for the Legends show. Maybe 2014 is the year.

Could be good Andy. I'm hoping to get to 'Leg Ends' next July to, regardless of other commitments. Local accommodation will likely be already booked, but hopefully, the camp site down the road, opposite the former 8th AF P-51 airfield at Fowlmere, will have room!

I stayed at a B&B about 5km north of Dux. Forget the name of the town but I was able to book about 4 months ahead of the 70th BoB Anniversary.

There are many possible venues in the UK, with Duxford being an obvious choice, although an air show day might be a busy time to choose, both in terms of actually meeting up, and for finding suitable accommodation.

..Dx the day or so prior to 'Legends' -or other show date- might work well; there is usually lots of flying going on as everyone is getting ready and no crowds (relatively speaking..)..done it a number of times before.

I'm 120 miles from Dx so a day round trip is fairly straight-forward, shifts at work might get in the way though....need to buy Terry a drink (or three..) for some favours he's done me recently....

If you don't mind I'd love to meet you too. I'm prepared to go anywhere in the land for this opportunity so count me in. I'll make any excuse at work (although I don't have to) for some kind of 'Jolly'.
As I go Stateside regularly, I'm definitely interested there as well.
Respectfully yours...N57

Nice one Nobby!
There's about four or five of us planning to do another trip to The Yorkshire Air Museum, on the former Halifax bomber base at Elvington, just outside York, in either late February or mid March, although nothing has yet been arranged firmly.
Two will be travelling up from Hampshire, me and my mate from Cheshire, and hopefully Karl (rochie) from Teesside. The plan is to stay over night, and maybe have a squizz around York the following day. Looking at suitable accommodation at the moment, and an old coaching inn at Helmsley, where I used to stay when on business in the area, might be a good venue, although it's about 27 miles north from Elvington.
Also planning another trip to the RAF Museum at Cosford, plus, of course, a couple of air shows this year.
I'll post here when I know more about who can go where, when etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back