PRU Blue F-5s in the Pacific?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
The famous "PRU Blue" painted Lockheed F-5s in Europe are well known and photographed, but what about the Pacific? It seems natural, given the vast ocean spaces, but most of the photos I've seen of F-5s there are either bare metal or what looks like early-war olive over gray. Is "PRU Blue" valid for that theater as well, and if so, when would it have been used? I've exhausted all of my usual reference sources without finding a clear answer.

Perhaps the Haze Blue scheme? Here are a couple of modeling articles that may help:

Lockheed F-5A Lightning by Werner Scheibling (Hasegawa 1/48)

Haze Paint?
It's a good overview, and I hadn't seen that finish print before. Both say that all F-5s were painted in the blue at the factory after mid-1943 or 1944 (depending on which blue) but there are a lot of photos of bare metal F-5s out there, so the whole thing leaves me scratching my head. Paint removed in the field, to squeeze out a few more knots of speed? I wouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the links!

Look for information on the USAAF 8th Photo Recon Group. They operated 'Haze' P-38s in the Pacific SWPA.
Worth having a look at this article: RAAF LIGHTNINGS 75SQN - The Lockheed File
Its about two (or three) haze painted recon Lightnings being loaned to the RAAF.

Expect the natural metal F-5 dated from when it was specified that camo was no longer required.
Also: P-38 (and Mustangs) might be described as natural metal, but in fact there were a number of areas on the airframe that were painted aluminium...such as the upper part of the tail booms, the top of the fin/rudder, the outer portion of the horizontal tailplane (I think all this was to protect the surfaces of those areas from the exhaust coming out of the superchargers), and also the wing and tailplane leading edges, the boom radiator housings, the large gun access panel on the nacelle and the panel with the gun opening, and the wing fillet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back