PRU Pink Spitfire Mk.IXc roundels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

flateric

Recruit
Oct 5, 2015
Dear forum members, all of sudden (GF wants PRU Spitfire kit) need help with exact color pallete (RGB/CMYK) and standard sizes for PRU Pink Spitfire Mk.IXc roundels (as I understand, these are so-called low-viz 'Type B' with 2:5 radii proportions).
Buying wrong discontinued Occidental/Italeri 1/48 kit for a price of Eduard kit just for decals is nonsense, Barracuda decal set is out of stock everywhere. I can order color laser printing though.
Occidental/Italeri decals have roundels much bigger on wings than on fuselage that contradicts with other sources and even with the kit boxart (and seems this is an apparent mistake).
Also of intersest are possible clues to tail number typeset.

All help much appreciated.

Attachments

• KPM-AZ-Models-1-72-KPM0176-Supermarine-Spitfire-FRMkIXc.jpg
    KPM-AZ-Models-1-72-KPM0176-Supermarine-Spitfire-FRMkIXc.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 338
  • FR Mk.IXc MK716 MK915 KP.jpg
    FR Mk.IXc MK716 MK915 KP.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 492
  • FR Mk.IXc MK716 BarracudaCals.jpg
    FR Mk.IXc MK716 BarracudaCals.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 492
  • FR Mk.IXc MK716 BarracudaCals-2.jpg
    FR Mk.IXc MK716 BarracudaCals-2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 571
  • FR Mk.IXc MK716 Hattaka.jpg
    FR Mk.IXc MK716 Hattaka.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,311
  • 10MERL~1-.jpg
    10MERL~1-.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 10MERL~1-2.jpg
    10MERL~1-2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 475
  • Italeri 2651 boxart.jpg
    Italeri 2651 boxart.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 387
  • FR Mk.IXc MK 716 - Occidental_Italeri.jpg
    FR Mk.IXc MK 716 - Occidental_Italeri.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 343
Taff Smith went a bit overboard with his interpretation of the pink on his PR.XI, but it looked great when flying alongside the black Hurricane as the Pink and Black Duo in the early noughties.

50318154916_a9514de7c6_b.jpg
Pink Spitfire i

50317489288_29ed7c5205_b.jpg
Pink Spitfire ii

There is a colour photograph around showing one of the pink Mk.IXs, and it's a really off-white, as Terry pointed out earlier in the thread PRU pink spitfires , certainly not as strong as this one, nor in fact the colour schemes those three-views show.

A few discussions on the pink colour; type into the search box...."pru pink +britmodeller"
A build here with a pretty good stab at the pink colour but no roundel stuff...Tamiya Spitfire FR IX- PRU pink (Finished)

I think that is a good representation of the colour on a model.

I remember the late Edgar Brookes saying that he had seen the original colour swatch at the RAF museum and that it looked white, until he put it onto a white background, when it had a pink hue. He may have contributed to one of those old Britmodeller threads, I haven't read them.

It was nowhere near as pink as some of the paint manufacturers seem to believe, or as pink as a certain warbird sports (or used to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back