"Punchy" Powell's P-47

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

494thFS

Recruit
Nov 10, 2007
Hello all!

First post ever. I just came across this site recently, and I am very excited about how great a research tool this forum is.

I'm building a model of Robert "Punchy" Powell's P-47D #42-8617, 328th FS, 352nd FG. Powell had the right side of the aircraft and it was obviously named "The West 'By Gawd' Virginian". However, there seems to be a discrepancy with regards to the left-hand side of the aircraft. Osprey's "352nd Fighter Group" on p.23 lists the left side as being named "Jamie my Boy". On 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk, it is listed as "Jamie mi Boy". However, in the recent "Bluenoser Tales" it is listed as "Jamie Boy" on page 138.

I'm leaning towards "Jamie Boy", since Powell himself was one of the editors of "Bluenoser Tales". However, I haven't been able to resolve this issue because I can't find any photos of the left-hand side of the aircraft.

The decal sheet is Superscale 48-786, and has the artwork as being "Jamie Boy". The left side also shows a pretty logo saying "Republic Employee Racer War Bond Plane 9". It's very detailed, so I'm assuming that Superscale somehow got a photo reference of the left side of the aircraft.

Link to decal sheet: http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/decals/super/ss48786.htm

I'm being very picky, but it's probably an illness that I don't expect will go away very soon :D . So, does anyone have any photos of the port side?

If you can't get this resolved let me know, I communicate with Bob quite a bit.

Jim

Good thing he checked back here. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, it took forever but I tracked down a photo of the left hand side of the aircraft. Indeed it is "Jamie Boy" and none of the other names reported. So, my decals sheet was correct after all. Off I go to finish it...

Thanks a ton!

go to the 352nd fg web-site and ask Bob personally........... he's a great guy and I for one am happy to be a friend of the 352nd fg since the 90's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back