Putty eraser. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I took on the challenge of the Revell Ju 87 G/D. After reading the previous build posts and seeing all the warts (challenges) this is actually beginning to be fun. One thing I discovered when working with filler (in my case Tamiya white putty) scraping and sanding were just to labor (labour for our GB friends?) intensive. I found that dipping a Que-tip in acetone (finger nail polish remover), and quickly wiping the excess, the unwanted material melted away leaving a clean, no need to sand, filled gap. Some may have already discovered this (to lazy to search) but I thought it worth mentioning (again?).

Last edited:
Yep, its a good method and has been posted several years ago. Always worth a resurrection. filling without sanding
I really didn't think I 'discovered' anything new, given the depth and experiences of this forum group there was not a chance this was not already known. But, just in case, and as you stated, resurrection is always a good thing.

The main thing is to make sure the acetone is removed from any plastic reasonably quickly as you have done. Some plastics are more impervious than others and so testing on a piece of sprue or internal surface first might be an idea.

The main thing is to make sure the acetone is removed from any plastic reasonably quickly as you have done. Some plastics are more impervious than others and so testing on a piece of sprue or internal surface first might be an idea.
I've always used NON-acetone fingernail polish remover. As the old saying goes: "werks for me". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back