PW R2800, R1830 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ryanjames17

Airman
Jul 26, 2018
Any one got a good source of info on the R2800 and R1830 engines?

For that you are going to have to search pilot manuals for different aircraft.
R-1830s used;
a single stage supercharger with a few different supercharger ratios.
a two speed supercharger.
A two stage supercharger.

You may get different fuel consumptions at the same hp to the propeller depending on altitude and supercharger gear/set up.

R-2800s had single speed single stage, two speed single stage, single speed single stage with turbo added on (P-47) and the two stage mechanical. (single speed-single stage on the engine and a two speed + neutral auxiliary supercharger.

Talk about a lot of different super charger options, I'll see if I can find a feway F4U pilots manuals on the R2800,

Any suggestions on a good aircraft to look up for a non turbocharged R1830?

For that you are going to have to search pilot manuals for different aircraft.
R-1830s used;
a single stage supercharger with a few different supercharger ratios.
a two speed supercharger.
A two stage supercharger.

You may get different fuel consumptions at the same hp to the propeller depending on altitude and supercharger gear/set up.

R-2800s had single speed single stage, two speed single stage, single speed single stage with turbo added on (P-47) and the two stage mechanical. (single speed-single stage on the engine and a two speed + neutral auxiliary supercharger.

Both also had models with turbosuperchargers, which would change the data you're looking for; R-1830 on the B-24, and R-2800 on the P-47 and P-61C.

Yes I also have White's R2800, P&W's Dependable Masterpiece. A pretty good source on the technical aspects, development and applications. What are you looking for? Some of the aircraft manuals have good information as to operating parameters and actual performance. I did the flight dynamics for a number of R2800 powered aircraft for various MS Flight sim purveyors. The best of the bunch was probably the FG1D Corsair in which we were able to implement the supercharger shifting operation and performance changes with altitude. Most of the aircraft manuals will have a chart of engine performance showing HP vrs RPM, Altitude, and Manifold Pressure.

Hopefully this is clear. It is 1944 Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions manual for Army Model B-26F and B-26G Airplanes. They had R-2800-43 engines.

Don't know why when I upload it goes vertical. It is fine on my desktop.

Tony

Attachments

• B26_Power.jpg
    B26_Power.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 263

Users who are viewing this thread

Back