PZL P11c...."ugly plane" (?)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tino

Airman
Jan 29, 2005
Monroe, New York USA
PZL P.11c 1934 Model

Type: Fighter
Weight: Empty: 1022 kg Take-off: 1650 kg Max Take-off: 1800 kg
Length: 7.55 m
Wingspan: 10.72 m
Height: 2.85m
Engine:pZL Bristol Mercury VS2
Power:Take-off:560 HP
Speed: Sea level: 276 km/h At 5000m: 375 km/h Cruise: 250 km/h
Stalling: 120 km/h
Climb: Initial: 12.4m/s to 2000m: 2min 29s Service ceiling: 8040m.
Range: 550 km.
Armament:
Four synchronized forward-firing 7.9 mm PWU wz.33 machine guns in the fuselage
Disposable: 2x12,5 kg bombs.
2x7.62mm MG (ShKAS)
2x23mm cannon (VYa)
Crew: One (pilot)

Manufacturer : Panstwowe Zaklady Lotnicze (PZL) Warsaw, Poland
Power-plant: PZL Bristol Mercury VS2 engine driving wooden 2-bladed Szomanski propeller, rated at 560 hp (441 kW) for take-off. In 1934, when Lotnictwo Wojskowe (PAF) acquired the first PZL P.11 fighters, they were the most modern fighter planes in service. The P.11c was an aerodynamically clean high-wing monoplane of all-metal construction. The
characteristic bent "gull-like" shape of the wings was adopted to reduce drag by eliminating the need for any supporting structure between the center section and the fuselage.
Only five years later, when they saw combat for the first time, German Me 109 and Bf 110 fighters hopelessly outclassed them. Still, with skill and determination, Polish pilots were able to attain a remarkable number of victories, and the plane's sturdiness, maneuverability and good handling qualities helped them stage a defiant resistance under the most adverse of circumstances. Though accurate counts are sketchy, the actual number of German aircraft shot down by fighter pilots in the short campaign was probably around 105-110, to the loss of only 26 P.11s to air-combat. Given the enormous technical and numerical advantage of the Luftwaffe, these numbers show the excellent skills and determination of Polish fighter pilots and their trust in the machine that carried them into battle.

Attachments

• pzl_p11.jpg
    pzl_p11.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,791
I always thought the P.11 was a nifty looking little plane, myself.
As for the skill and bravery of the Polish pilots, I don't think it was ever in doubt. This would become even more apparent with the Polish squadrons of the RAF, later on. 8)

I fail to see how you could consider the Lancaster ugly, but I also fail how to see you could think the P.11c is ugly. I think they both look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back