Q on Italian RA Bf 109G-4 camo - Jagged? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ruud

Airman 1st Class
Apr 1, 2010
Hoi,

In the S/S book Bf 109 pt 2 (not exactly the holy grail of bf 109 reference, but until i add to my library, it is all i have) it states that the "jagged" camo on the wings was common for G-4s. Is it common for just certain werk numbers or coming from certain factories?

I have a Fine Molds G-4 that i would like to build as a RA G-4 Trop. (365-5 or 365-8 ). 365-5 is in the "standard" 74/75/76 scheme. 365-8 is in the desert 78/79 scheme. If the chance of 365-5 being in the "jagged" scheme is good, then i'll likely go with that one. Else i'm leaning to do the 365-8. But either way i'll need to buy some paints, so before i do that...

TIA

Last edited:
like this:
camouflage-masks-messerschmitt-bf-109g-6-ehrler-masks-for-amld-48-029-1-48-aml-4907.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this help?
This is one of a few page of profiles and photos from an article on Italian '109s, from Scale Models International a year or two back.

Attachments

• Italian Bf109G.jpg
    Italian Bf109G.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,868
I have that issue too. Also that FS special issue with essentially the same article but 7 or so years earlier. It is one of the main reasons i got interested in Italian 109's. The ability to build 109's without the Hakenkruis is a plus for me.

I did find out some more info. Erla built G's (often?) had the saw-toothed or tree camouflage. 365-5 was a WNF, as were 365-1, 364-5, and 364-6. 363-6 might have been an Erla built one. There is a picture of it that shows some of the jagged type camo on the wings. Down side is that it does not have the 150th Gruppo insignia on the fuselage.

I like the looks for 365-8 (in it's 78/79 scheme) as well, but it is an G-2... time to ponder again. I have a FM G-6 too, but it is not a Trop. and most RA G-6's seem to have been Trops.

(still waiting for SMI to do part II...).

Alberto (Al49) might be able to help you. Apart from being Italian, and having an obvious interest, he has information on the units and colours, having built a few models himself. I think he will be at his summer house at the moment, but a PM might get a response.
Also, Wayne (Wayne Little) has a vast archive of info on all things '109, so again, he might be able to advise.

Thanks! I messaged Al49 to see if i am on the right track. I'll go through Wayne's Bf 109 build's to make sure i'm building/painting things right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back