Q on RAF Roundels.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Melonfish

Airman
Sep 12, 2012
Warrington, UK
I've been trawling for pics of 35 squadron planes from around 43 onwards what i have noticed is that some of these show the aircraft sporting roundels sans the red dot in the middle? is this simply a contrast issue with the pics or was this a correct period roundel?

per example:
Halifax-bomber.jpg

84B0A868_1143_EC82_2E2873B6F78BEACA.jpg

worth noting that second one is actually from the MOD website.
i've looked at the wiki entry for this but its wiki, user built and you guys are more likely to have better references about.
i do note that most transfer sheets come with the roundels missing the red dot thus allowing you to add it or leave it off.
can anyone enlighten me?
thanks
Pete

The red is there.
Look at the fin flashes on the tails in both pictures. That's the red at the front and it exactly matches the centre of the roundels. I'm not a photographer but this effect,the rendering of the red as a light colour almost indistinguishable from the white,is to do with the type of film used.
On the top photo I can make out the white ring in the roundel.
Cheers
Steve

Yep, the red is there in both cases in the Type 'C1' roundels. The apparent pale tone in this case is purely an effect of the lighting and exposure, with the photo being taken on standard 'pan' film. In those cases where orthochromatic film has been used, fairly common due to film stock shortages in WW2, the red would appear slightly darker, and yellow would appear darker still, leading some to be mislead that yellow is red!
The only time a RAF roundel would normally be missing the red centre spot (in WW2) would normally be in Far East service, and then the roundels should be Roundel Blue and pale blue (SEAC markings), the latter colour being a 50/50 mix of blue and white, although before the Directive was fully implemented, for a short period, it was possible to see fighter aircraft in the SEAC theatre with a blue and white roundel, similar to the RAAF version.

I agree with both posts above. The enlarged and clipped picture reveals the red centre ( darker comparing to the white outline around it ) of the RAF roundel.

Attachments

• Halifax-bomber1.jpg
    Halifax-bomber1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 79
Spot on thanks chaps, thought i was going slightly crazy for a little while there :D
reet at least thats one thing on this build don't have to worry about lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back