Question about Model Kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
How do resin kits differ from noraml plastic kits? And how do vacuform kits differ from normal plastic kits?

HElp would be greatly appreciated because ive seen several models of Italian lpanes which involve these processes :D

And how do vacuform kits differ from normal plastic kits?

With a vacuform kit you have to cut the parts out from a plastic sheet, they can be a pain if you're not too good with an x-acto knife......

Attachments

• 1_154.jpg
    1_154.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 633
Speaking of kits my mates grandad tried doing a model of HMS Nelson but he had no patients and his eyesight was getting poor, so when I asked where the anti aircraft guns where he said "no no I remember it didn't have any they took em all off ". So I said what about the life boats why are they all missing he said "the crew have all gone ashore". And the propellers? "in for repair" :)

Sounds easy enough. Ill get a cheap one first to see what its like before I buy the P.108...Thanks guys 8)

I've done some resin kits from Czechoslovakia. Although very detailed. they could be very brittle. I don't know what caliber model you want to build, but detailing could be challenging.

Did an RE-2005. This was a long time ago so I don't remember the mfg., but I still got about 150 kits stored. I used to trade with a fellow from Sternberk in the mid-late 1980s.

When I was building a lot of models I used to kit bash the old SMER kits and make all kinds of weird stuff.

wow, from Český Šternberk. During the 80's? Tough red was here those times - did you have any problems with sending/reciving the mail? He probably had some, cause everything what was from West was suspicious - so the gifts you used to send him were checked out were closely by the secret service, I'd guess...

So you must know the awful crappy Kovozávody Prostějov (KoPro) models - like La-5FN in an A4 box, Po-2, etc... These were terrible. Now the KoPro company makes solid models, however, Smer is a classic one! ;)

Cheers,
Pisis

Pisis said:
wow, from Český Šternberk. During the 80's? Tough red was here those times - did you have any problems with sending/reciving the mail? He probably had some, cause everything what was from West was suspicious - so the gifts you used to send him were checked out were closely by the secret service, I'd guess...

So you must know the awful crappy Kovozávody Prostějov (KoPro) models - like La-5FN in an A4 box, Po-2, etc... These were terrible. Now the KoPro company makes solid models, however, Smer is a classic one! ;)

Cheers,
Pisis

Oh yea - he used to "smuggle" letters to me wrapped inside the box liners. It took about 6 months for us to get our secret messaging system established. I smuggled him a book on Japanese WW2 Fighters. I actually placed another cover over the original and it got through! The guy flipped! He must of sent me 20 kits after that!

I guess in those days talking about WW2 and the Japanese was taboo. After the wall came down he sent me many revealing letters on the way things were there.

Oh yea, the old "KP" kits - crappy but a lot of fun (and frustrating) to build. If you make a KP kit look good, you were skilled! The SMER kits were great - always had a blast making them, especially the CR.32. Must of made 5 of them!

cheddar cheese said:
Why do you need 5 Cr.32's? :lol:

They're cool! I wish I could build a full size replica! I had 2 from the Spanish Civil War (Morato, Bermudez de Castro), 2 from Italy, and one from Austria. Long gone now :cry:

You like Italian planes too?! A man after my own heart! :love7: :lol:

The CR.32 is cool though. I bought an Italeri Caproni Ca.311 today :D

cr32_1.jpg

cheddar cheese said:
You like Italian planes too?! A man after my own heart! :love7: :lol:

The CR.32 is cool though. I bought an Italeri Caproni Ca.311 today :D

cr32_1.jpg

Oh yea, always liked Italian planes. The CR.32 looks like a real fighter even though it's a bi-plane. Squat, rugged, meanicing - reminds me of Rocky Marciano!

Oh yea - he used to "smuggle" letters to me wrapped inside the box liners. It took about 6 months for us to get our secret messaging system established. I smuggled him a book on Japanese WW2 Fighters. I actually placed another cover over the original and it got through! The guy flipped! He must of sent me 20 kits after that!

W:shock:W that's cool!!! I'm wondering about what did you send - which kinds of messages? I don't believe he wasn't scanned by the StB (means "Státní Bezpečnost" - "State Security" - secret political police...). How did you inserted the messages in the boxes?

I guess in those days talking about WW2 and the Japanese was taboo. After the wall came down he sent me many revealing letters on the way things were there.

Yes - it was. The only interpretation of WWII was that Russians liberated us, the only ressistance was the communist one... The western army members (but even some of the former red army soldiers!!!) were imprisoned for many years, some of them even executed!
For more, chceck out the story on my www - section "czechoslovaks".

BTW, how did you get familiar with this guy? And do you still keep in touch with him?

Oh yea, the old "KP" kits - crappy but a lot of fun (and frustrating) to build. If you make a KP kit look good, you were skilled! The SMER kits were great - always had a blast making them, especially the CR.32. Must of made 5 of them!.

Yup, the word "frustrating" does it! :lol: You have to sand, sand, sand... Becuase of these plastic shits and bubbles everywhere... I already stopped to buy the KoPro ones. They're very cheap (around 60 Crowns/3 Dollars) but the quality is lacking...

If you want, I can send you some of the new Smer models. I think they made an oldnew 1/48 kit of CR-32 with some resin photoetched parts. How much does the Smer models cost in the US? Here the 1/72 are about 100 Czech Crowns (cca 5 Bucks... S1=around 22Kr - depending to the course), the 1/48 are around 150-250 (around 10-15 dollars).

Check out www.smer.cz

810.jpg

Cheers,
Pisis

AH - nice shot! Thanks for the offer on the kits, I don't have time to build anymore.

I lost track of him around 1993, his name was Ales Horak. I used to wrap the kits with brown paper and insert a secret letter at the fold where I would tape the package up. Never had a problem.

One of the reasons I lost track of him is because he got involved with politics after the communists fell from power. He thanked me for corresponding with him and had great admiration for Ronald Regan.

The book I sent was a an encyclopedia of Japanese Aircraft. He knew the name so he had access somehow. Anyway I found a copy and sent it to him, he was overjoyed! When I changed the cover on the book I also wrapped it in a self-sealing cellophane, maybe that's why it wasn't searched.

Always wanted to visit there. He sent me photos of some beautiful women!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back