Question about paint color correctness.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Haven't had the opportunity to use MM paints - yet! But from what I've seen and heard, they are as good as, possibly better, than Humbrol for colour matching. Regrettably, since the demise of the Humbrol factory, and the acquistion by Hornby, Humbrol paints are now made heaven knows where, and their quality and consistency is somewhat erratic, to put it politely !

I agree with Airframes' post above. What is more who can say that each of offered paints.enamels is of the correct tonality.All colours are influenced by time, weather conditions etc.....as a result there is no way to state if a tonality of any paint is really proper. Generally it can be say we usually buy a basic colour only.

Aaron, I use model master quite a bit and find it to be an excellent paint but then I'm not real fussy about color correctness. I'm the hand grenade school: Close enough

Thank you guys. Wurger, I have some understanding of what effects paints for I have to restore cars for a living and deal with it on a constant basis. I was just hoping to get as close as possible and go from there. Your advice is much appreciated for I did need a reminder of those facts.:) I have been out of the model building realm for 27 years now and am trying to get back into it without messing up to much. I have had a blast watching you guys build these stupendous pieces as if you were breathing them. It is amazing sir. And very educational. Thank you again Terry and Wurger. I'm off to see if I can find what I need for the three models I have at the moment.

but then I'm not real fussy about color correctness. I'm the hand grenade school: Close enough

Your Buffalo says something different Mike. ;) I have found the article about the build in SAM International magazine very interesting. :)

Aaron, I still use Humbrol, and have for nearly 50 years, as it's the only stuff I can get locally, apart from toy-town acrylics of course. I do occasionally use Xtracolour enamels, as I have a few tins left, but I'm trying to get my local shop to stock White Ensign (WEM) paints, as these seem to be like the 'old' Humbrol used to be.

Thank you sir for the information. The only thing I can find around here is Model Master so I guess that's what I'm going to go with for now. As soon as I get my table set up I'm going to start on these models. I have to build it.:)

Aaron, I also use Tamiya and Testors paints, and I try to stay away from enamals and lacquers unless there is no choice. So 90% is acrylic. I have a medium sized cardboard box as my spray booth and an aztec airbrush

Ha ha ha...therefore I'm glad of bearing in my mind that I have to go to a toilet when I need to pass water. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back