Question for CANT C501 seaplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rousseau

Airman
Jan 3, 2007
I'm always curious is there any crews in that gun turret at rear of top engine nacelle? If does, how does he climb into it? ladder? or elevator? Do you have picture to show me?
Thanks in advance.

Maybe these will help you. The gun is manned. From the look of the ground crew working on one in the pictures I would say they would have to climb up there.

Attachments

• a 501.JPG
    a 501.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 172
  • b 501.JPG
    b 501.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 158
  • c 501.JPG
    c 501.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 175
Maybe the crane was used for.:lol: :lol:
What do you think Mic?

Hi Wurger,

I dont think the crane is how they got it up there :lol: , but may help or be faster. I think that there is a access hatch at the bottom of the gunners position and the two bars you see are rungs to climb up at the bottom of the gunners compartment. Not for sure but my two cents on the subject since I know next to nothing on this aircraft. Photo below for theory on this.

Attachments

• 501.JPG
    501.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 166
Hi Micdrow,
I think you are right.The hatch was for that.To be honest I cannot see another way to do it.Taking the person's height in the pic into consideration the distance between the top of fuselage and the bottom of the engine gondola it wasn't big.The diameter of the hatch was a bit too small only.I could have some problems with this.:lol:

I have to agree with you, It seems small and the reason why im not sure about my reasoning but like you I cant see another way around it.

Not for sure but my two cents on the subject since I know next to nothing on this aircraft. Photo below for theory on this.

I think you're absolutely correct Micdrow. Also confirmed by a prewar Janes entry for the CANT Z501. (nice photos by the way!)

I am sincerely grateful for your help. Recently no more questions, but I will be back with more confusions I am going to find. :p

Good info here.THX Greame for that.
I thank you Micdrow for the link as well.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back