Question for today.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Why do they always play shitty music, while you're on hold, why can't they have an option, for what music you want to listen to, among all the other ones? :lol:

They do it in hopes you get so annoyed that you hang up. Then they don't have to deal with you.
Much like when you call a Government agency and they tell you you need to talk to "so-and-so" and they transfer you. Then several transfers later with the same story you end up talking to the first person you spoke to!!!! Seriously, this happened after my Uncle died and my Father was trying to deal with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

Why do they always play shitty music, while you're on hold, why can't they have an option, for what music you want to listen to, among all the other ones? :lol:

They put you on hold to show you how unimportant you are and hope you'll just go away, especially when you're calling about the £100 they've just overcharged you.

I can't remember which one it was, but either Virgin Media or the RAC have the option to choose. It did make my phone call telling them I want the same product but about £10 cheaper per month even more enjoyable. BTW it did work with both company's if you fancy reducing your bills.

Buck has it 100%. It is even better when a recording interupts the music to state "Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold. Your call will be answered by the next available operator". My second favorite is the "Due to a high volume if calls.."message

I once sat on hold for the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles for 8 hours.
They screwed up my licence and N.C. wouldn't give me one until I had the form from Az. 8 hours of, "Your call is....blah, blah, blah. They kept playing the same songs over and over. I hated "Muskrat Love" before that, but now if I hear it, it puts me in a homicidal mood!

I can't remember which one it was, but either Virgin Media or the RAC have the option to choose. It did make my phone call telling them I want the same product but about £10 cheaper per month even more enjoyable. BTW it did work with both company's if you fancy reducing your bills.

Virgin Atlantic owns the rights to a lot of music; they would charge a large sum of money for somebody to put anything good and new onto the music a telephone plays when on hold.

Last edited:
I've found the solution.

Start a company. That way, you end up as a business customer, i.e. 'high value'.
I ring the bank, and its usually answered in the first few rings. Tax dept, similar situation.

We even had a Telco come to us.

My personal favorite is the dumbasses that have hold music piped in from a local radio station, that's just slightly out of tune...so it's scratchy and makes you want to start tearing the skin off your face while you're waiting for the idiot at the other end to pick up. By the time they answer, there is no diplomacy and no mercy...

I share your pains too, over here, official waiting musak are usually of Vivaldi's 4 seasons. While being a rock metal fan, I can put up with classical, it was the rock/metal of its day too, but sometimes the musak that is played has faded, missing notes/chords or gone weird in its electronic waiting line format.
The last thing you want to hear when your trying to get to the bottom of a problem or some officials winky-up, is a knackered version of a classical tune, that does as suggested earlier, make you feel more angered, and/or certainly less caring.

Last edited:
I once sat on hold for the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles for 8 hours.
They screwed up my licence and N.C. wouldn't give me one until I had the form from Az. 8 hours of, "Your call is....blah, blah, blah. They kept playing the same songs over and over. I hated "Muskrat Love" before that, but now if I hear it, it puts me in a homicidal mood!

8 Hours?? **** me you are a determined man Paul.

I did something similiar once, called around 2:30PM sat on hold until 4:55PM when the music? was interrupted by an announcement: "We are now closed please call tomorrow during normal business hours". I really tried hard to reach through the wires.
WORSER: The robot answering machines: "Listen closely as our menu has changed press one for...press two for..." When you make a choice you get menue #2 then menu #3 and finally, "All associates are busy with other callers please hold..." Then when you finally get a human they ask the same info you just input through the menus

I'm normally a patient chap ( he said with fingers crossed least the hatch door is opened and god bellows ' you bastard..you have no patience and you KNOW it..one more whopper and you'll wake up in New Jersey)....but, being on hold, the stupid ****ing 'you are 18th in the queue', 'we value your call and someone will be with you soon' and pitiful excuses for crap service and rude upstarts demanding really gets on my TITS....

Yep, having had 24 minutes of it yesterday, I had another 30 minutes of all the above, today, with the same people !
Been trying to renew my contract for the mobile 'phone and broadband - three ****ing days trying to speak to someone, then, after interminable sh*tty music, I get through to a human in ......... India!
Then I'm told I need to be transferred !
Then I'm told I can't be transferred, as the required office isn't ****ing well open yet!!
So, start all over again, when the UK office is open - more sh*tty music, more 'Press one for ..' and so on.
And guess what?
Yep, you got it - I'm back to ****ing India, and transferred again !
Eventually get to tell someone that the new 'WiFi' thingy they've sent, to replace and upgrade my 'old' system, hasn't got the 'SIM' card it needs. So - yep, more waiting, more sh*tty music, and then I'm back to .... ****ing India again!!
After 30 minutes, I'm told they're very sorry, and they'll get the 'SIM' card to me - in five days ****ing time !!!
B*ll*cks !!
Can't people just pick up a 'phone and ****ing well ask what you want these days!!!!!????!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back